Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012

gpwil3847 is on a distinguished road
Well...Here I am...clueless about boat yards. Felicity is on the hard, the head hauncho will give me his assessment, estimate and tell me when. I am ready to proceed but will just have to wait for Gadoe. Centerboard is not here yet anyway.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2012

Purchased a swagging tool at lowes today $25.87 can swag my own wire rigging anything from 1/16th, 3/32,1/8th, and 3/16th without having to rely on expensive riggers at places like West Marine who charge 4 times what it's worth! I will only go to an expensive marine store when there is no way to avoid it. Nothing bothers me more than being taken advantage of by suppliers who sell things at prices so high it is as if everything is plated in 24 carat gold! Lowes sells the same wire cable used on our sailboats, and the lead thing-a-ma-bobs which hold two pieces of wire together - like around a thimble, or to place a fitting on the end of a wire perhaps I can indeed make my own rigging?? Just looked it up - the very same swagging tool at West Marine - $249.99 - Un believable!!!! See Page 941 of the 2011 West Marine Catalog - Where do they get off ripping people off like that!? That is nearly 10 times what I paid! Caveat Emptor. It pays to shop around for other sources and to use your head.

Last edited by gpwil3847; 01-21-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2012

Welp! my mooring pilings are in, about 18' high to keep the boat in the slip through most storm surges below a Cat III but our dock is well protected for most storms. We are on the northern part of the biloxi peninsula on the south side of back bay so the bank blocks wind from the south. My $935 centerboard arrived in bubble wrap and a wood crate. Made contact with the yard owner who assured me we should be out of the yard by the end of February...we will see. Emailed him all the documents I had on the centerboard system.
Old 02-04-2012

There is a lot that I can do once I have the boat home. I did fire up the engine an 8hp Johnson sailmaster and ran it for 30 minutes in a garbage can, shifted gears several times, idles fine on low speed, and ran toward the high side for 5 minutes in fresh water on fresh gas, used Penzoil marine 2 cycle which exceeds the standard. then burned the gas out of her. I also ran my old sailmaster 9.9 but it needs a tune up, I believe the fuel line needs to be cleaned out. The water pumped out was never more than luke warm. I also believe I will use 1/2 inch three stranded nylon rope for the halyards, that is what was used on my O'Day 21 except it was 3/8th inch and it has lasted 20 years - works for me and I can splice the loop myself to the thimble on the wire part of the halyard - beats the hell out of nearly $200 for fancy line from the west marine robbers, of course for the new boom sheet I wll need a smoother brade of nylon but again does not have to be the fancy expensive stuff. (I believe the fact that my halyards have lasted 20 years and worked fine on my old boat means outrageously expensive line from a bunch of highway robbers is not necessary and a huge waste of money. I also plan to visit the supplier for the local shrimping fleet to see what can be had - bet it may be lower priced than west marine or similar marine suppliers.

Last edited by gpwil3847; 02-05-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-05-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpwil3847 View Post
Purchased a swagging tool at lowes today $25.87 can swag my own wire rigging anything from 1/16th, 3/32,1/8th, and 3/16th swagging tool at West Marine - $249.99 - Un believable!!!! See Page 941 of the 2011 West Marine Catalog - Where do they get off ripping people off like that!? That is nearly 10 times what I paid! Caveat Emptor. It pays to shop around for other sources and to use your head.
It might be useful if you posted a link to the Lowes part and the westmarine part so folks can make an accurate determination as to what you are talking about.

I would recommend that you do a little more research however. The machine that does roll swaging that professionals use costs thousands of dollars not hundreds.

Under no circumstances would I use anything from Lowes on a boat for rigging unless I was absolutely sure I was positive it was the right part and I checked the metallurgy.
Let me ask you a couple of questions.
You are pretty new at this boat stuff right?
West Marine has been around for many years and has hundreds of stores right.
All manufacturers of sailboats use rigging parts that are with few exceptions from the same small group of marine manufacturers that west marine sells.
So what do you think is more likely. Everyone in the world, manufacturers and buyers of new boats, designers of custom boats, and manufactures of boats for the last 40 years are so unbelievably stupid that they over pay for these parts just because.
Or that you being new to this sport is missing something important.

Please be very careful. Even in your small boat if the mast comes down expectantly someone can get seriously hurt.
You are railing against WM and frankly we all do, the stuff is expensive. On the other hand using parts like 3 strand for running rigging while it might have worked for you in the past is a significant downgrade from what the designer and the builder chose originally. Again do you really think that they were so stupid they didn't know they could use the cheap stuff.

Don't get me wrong. Sometimes you can use cheap parts and it only impacts how long it will last, it's looks or performance. Three strand for running rigging probably falls into this category although it will substantially impact all three. Do what you need to do.
Sometimes using cheap stuff risks the life of you or your crew. The standing rigging from Lowes will most likely fall into this category.

Last edited by davidpm; 02-05-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-05-2012

Thanks, David, let me clarify. and I do get angry when prices are highly inflated, try having any work done after a hurricaine! I am not into racing, or anything like circumnavigation just day sailing or perhaps a little coastal cruising, used to dream of circumnavigating as a teenager. But, older and wiser I realize that even true professionals are taking a risk in the open ocean - I have respect for anything dangerous believe me. A 25 (24'11" in my case) foot sailboat is really relatively small. If a halyard fails the sail comes down, but that hasn't ever happened to me anyway. Besides the Halyard on my boat is only about 35' long, goes around a small wench and to a cleat. Anything going through blocks I plan on using a higher grade of nylon line. I am not talking about roll swagging (though I did imply that in my excitement above over the new tool in my arsenal), this tool, I gave the page number in the 2011 West Marine Catelogue, can give the part number as well works on the sizes of wire cable I need, and is used on things like the centerboard cable, or attaching wire to itself after fitting it around a thimble - using the lead fittings for this purpose. I am not going to compromise on critical things but will only use an expensive marine supply house when there is absolutely no way to avoid it - their prices are highly inflated In the case of this hand swagging tool 10 times! Competition is needed and Lowes does have some items that will work - treated lumber, stainless steel hardwear, I remember paying $6.00 for a clevis pin! which should have been .90 cents thats 6 times what it's worth! I have been sailing since I was in high school in the 1970's and have owned 8 boats over that time. Believe me if It has to be done by a west marine rigger then I suppose they have me over a barrel - I have no interest in the marine supply industry but I have common sense and good judgement. Competition is needed in this industry.

Last edited by gpwil3847; 02-05-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-05-2012

I see what your are saying, let me clarify and correct myself. I do not have the ability to attach fittings to the end of standing rigging, and would of course use a marine supply house for roll swagging needed especially for rigging that supports the mast. I would not want to advise anyone to do that on their own, I will always use a professional on something critical to make sure it is done correctly - that is a safety issue. That being said there are many things we can do or make and save lots of money - I fabricated my own centerboard wench handle for under $10. and it works great! That is a noncritical item. I can order teak anywhere and have the equipment in my shop to make handrails, toe rails, make anything I want just for the cost of the lumber and the electricity and sandpaper from lowes or Home Depot where they have stainless hardwear as well to attach it.

Last edited by gpwil3847; 02-05-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-10-2012

Oy Vey! (just came to mind - I'm Prysbyterian)! I have a 1967 Morgan 24 recently bought it, and is in the Yard. Ordered and received a beautiful new centerboard $935 as there was no board on the boat. After printing many documents and providing them to the boat yard, my pennant tube was metal, moved in and out of the packing gland with the centerboard cable attached - thought nothing of it. looking up at the top corner of the centerboard trunk with the boat on the slings I saw the remnant of the old cable on the external part of the pennant tube. I Spoke with the boat yard this morning and was told the wire went all the way through the metal pennant tube and was fiberglassed in! My previous morgan a 25, my father owned a 22 and both had white nylon or delrin? tubes with the centerboard cable attached to each end internally, and externally. Now the whole mess, packing gland and all are out and a new pennant tube will have to be fabricated so that the centerboard cable can be attached. Why are things never as simple or easy as they seem? The boat yard told me not to worry. This is why I got the boat for $700.00! So I will chill...... OH AS TO PREVIOUS CRITICISM ABOVE here is proof that I do not skimp on the important things. I know when to delegate to a professional when a job has to be done right.

Last edited by gpwil3847; 02-10-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-14-2012

Waited out Thanksgiving, waited out Christmas, Waited out New Years, Waited out cold weather, now I am waiting out Deer Hunting Season! What's next? Ducks? And in the end I suppose I will after a heafty boatyard bill have my boat.
Old 03-01-2012

Zschofield is on a distinguished road
One more Morgan

I too am in the middle of a Morgan 24 restoration. So far I have, stripped off all of the teak and sanded it down, Cleaned and scrubbed down the inside, and dropped/ inspected the mast in preparation for the haul out. Next weekend I will be hauling the boat and putting it on a trailer to scrape the bottom and repaint. If anyone has a diagram of how the center board works, or picture of it that would be great. The cable going to the pulleys on mine is snapped so I don't know if the keel is up or down.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.