Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012

lobosolo98 is on a distinguished road
OI 41 Drive Trane Growling

Hello. First time on Sail Net.

Bought a project boat a few years ago. This year I replaced the Ford tractor engine with a rebuilt Perkins 4.108. It purrs beautifully, but when we put it in forward or reverse, it starts growling. So I hauled it out, did some unrelated stuff, and changed the cutlass bearing. But when I dropped it, the problem still remained. I am wondering if anyone has ever worn out an intermittent bearing, or had a worn shaft cause a problem, or if anyone has ever heard a growling noise from their OI drive trane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Re: OI 41 Drive Trane Growling

I recently replaced the "carrier bearing" at the same time I replaced my shaft and changed to a Dripless Shaft Seal. Most of my noise abatement was a result of the new carrier bearing. For my 1&1/4" shaft I replaced the bearing with a VXB bearing part number ucf207-20 (code=Kit 11520). I think what I've been referring to as a carrier bearing is the same as you are describing as the intermittent bearing,- on the shaft between the engine coupling and the stuffing box. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 05-06-2012

roberttigar is on a distinguished road

are you referring to the noise you get at low rpm's? Does it disappate as the rpm pass 1000?
Old 05-06-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Lobo,

Plenty of possibilities come to mind -- narrowing it down is gonna take some work.

- Bad alignment.
- Worn damper plate.
- Transmission issues.
- Etc.

Can you do a better job localizing the noise? That'll go a long way in fault isolation.

When you dropped in the Perkins, did you have it properly aligned?
Old 05-08-2012

lobosolo98 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the replies. Captain Force, I have used carriage bearing and intermittent bearing interchangeably. And I've been corrected. I don't know the difference.

The alignment is the great unknown. Mechanic claims he did an outstanding job aligning new engine. And when I took the shaft lose, there was no spring back.

I solved the noise and vibration problem. First, I loosened the int. bearing from the bulk head and ran it in gear hoping it would find a sweet spot. But that didn't work. Then I loosened the set screws holding the shaft. And BINGO! I never imagined it would run so smooth. The set screws - which were missing and I replaced during the engine change - were pushing the shaft against the far side of the worn bearing and forcing the shaft out of alignment. The wobble in the shaft and the bulk head disappeared completely. Don't know if that bearing will last a week or a lifetime, but I'm going to ride it out until it seizes.
Old 05-08-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

I hold my finger to the outer casing of the "intermittent" bearing after running for an hour or so and find it mildly uncomfortably hot, but not painful. This has been my long term standard for acceptable performance. I don't know if this holds up to evaluation of others with more mechanical knowledge, but with this and keeping it greased I've been doing well. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.