SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Morgan (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/morgan/)
-   -   cleaning air filter on perkins 401-8 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/morgan/96382-cleaning-air-filter-perkins-401-8-a.html)

jasonr575 02-05-2013 02:18 PM

cleaning air filter on perkins 401-8

I have a morgan 37 oi. I have a mushroom shaped air filter. On the inside it is like a screen material with very small holes. There is no paper or foam filter just the screen. What is the proper way to clean this? Someone told me to sand blast it or soak it in solvent but those dont seem right to me. How much sand blasting could it take and if soaked in solvent like i did one year i had to repaint it. Is this really the proper way to do this?

Letrappes 02-05-2013 03:07 PM

I have a Perkins 4.108 as well and asked that question before. The response I was given was to get rid of the metal screen as it really doesn't do much and to call up K&N to get a replacement filter. This new filter will actually do a bit more than just screen the big particulates. I haven't done this yet but would like to in the future.

jasonr575 02-05-2013 03:54 PM

Re: cleaning air filter on perkins 401-8

Code:

do i just tell them it is for a perkins 401.8 or do they need more specs?

Capt. Gary Randall 02-05-2013 04:08 PM

4-108 401.8??????? never heard of it,? the screen in the 4-108 is designed to be an air silencer not a filter. They also made a 4-107 and a 4-236. All marine engines don't have dust filters, only silencers.

jasonr575 02-06-2013 01:56 AM

Sorry it is a 4-108. So do i do anything to this as far as cleaning goes? Aster a year it gets kind of dirty and oily.

svHyLyte 02-06-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonr575 (Post 986410)
Sorry it is a 4-108. So do i do anything to this as far as cleaning goes? Aster a year it gets kind of dirty and oily.

Jason, the proper maintenance for the intake mushroom and screen filter is to simply soak it in a container with some mineral spirits awhile and then give it a good scrub with a small brush--an old toothbrush will do. Run a pipe cleaner through the tube that the crankcase breather connects to and ensure that it's clean/clear. Then thoroughly dry the thing and give it a wipe with WD40 and your good to go.

The reason the 4-108 has the metal screen is because the engine has a "flame start" system for starting in cold weather. Essentially, when the ignition key is turned to the last detent position just before "start", a small glow plug in the intake is activated and a small valve opened to allow a drip or two of fuel on the glow plug. After 15 - 20 seconds, the plug will be hot enough to ignite the fuel, generating a "little" flame, although, with intake cover/screen filter-flame suppressor removed, it can rise up 4-5 inches above the intake. The mushroom cap and screen, of course, contain this in normal operations. The flame generates the heat needed to ensure starting in very cold conditions. This approach is "old technology", from the 1930's - 40's, but it is simple and effective.

I have been an advocate of the K&N Filter for the 4-108 as friends of ours have had good success with one at reducing intake noise and, through the crankcase vent, lower crankcase pressure and reducing oil seepage around the rear seal. The K&N is made of of a plastic material that is heat resistant up to about 300 F but exposure to an open flame could pose problems. Accordingly, if one is operating in an area where one might need/want the pre-heater/flame start function, the K&N might not be wise. If using one, it would be wise to disconnect the wiring to the glow-plug (but labeled) and put a note in one's engine maintenance log for a potential future owner.

FWIW...

jasonr575 02-06-2013 11:15 AM

Very informative. I didnt know my motor did that. I am in new england and sometimes she is hard to start so i think i will stick with what i have. Is there something i should paint the cap with that the mineral spirits wont desolve and will protect from rust. Seems silly to have to paint it every time i clean it. Thanks for the info.

svHyLyte 02-06-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonr575 (Post 986524)
Very informative. I didnt know my motor did that. I am in new england and sometimes she is hard to start so i think i will stick with what i have. Is there something i should paint the cap with that the mineral spirits wont desolve and will protect from rust. Seems silly to have to paint it every time i clean it. Thanks for the info.

Normally, mineral spirits will have no effect on the paint that's on the Mushroom Cap/Screen. If it really needs painting, one can obtain a can of the spray paint that matches the original Perkins paint from Transatlantic Diesel (Google). One could also simply use a near matching color spray epoxy "Exhaust Header" paint from Lowes/Home Depot/Discount Auto although you'd need to do a good de-greasing job on the cap/screen for that to adhere properly. Mineral spirits followed up with Acetone and a little roughing up with 220 sand-paper. Go easy on the screen to ensure that doesn't get gummed up/obstructed and stuff some paper towel shreds in the breather pipe tube to keep that clear.

Good luck...

jasonr575 02-06-2013 06:46 PM

Screen usually has oil on it so not a concern. Will repaint mushroom as necessary. Thanks.