SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Morgan (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/morgan/)
-   -   M-34 Cutless Bearing Removal (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/morgan/97820-m-34-cutless-bearing-removal.html)

dancrosswis@gmail.com 03-23-2013 06:07 PM

M-34 Cutless Bearing Removal

I'll be replacing the cutless bearing on my M-34 in the next couple weeks.

Anyone know whether there are set screws? Where it/they are?

I suspect I will split the bearing with a sawzall/hacksaw and then curl it inward for removal. Any recommendations for removal technique?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dan Cross
Escapade
1968 M-34 #286

eherlihy 03-23-2013 07:17 PM

Re: M-34 Cutless Bearing Removal

I assure you that there are set screws...

Some time ago we had a member (don't remember who) that was sure that there were no set screws holding his cutlass bearing in place... Then he couldn't figure out why the bearing refused to budge after hours trying to dislodge it. Sure enough, he eventually found them and removed the bearing. The trick will be to find them under any paint and/or barnacles that are on the strut.

CalebD 03-23-2013 10:58 PM

One of the best on-line tutorials on replacing a Cutless bearing in a strut is here: Replacing A Cutlass Bearing Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

Many other great how-to articles on that website.

dancrosswis 03-28-2013 08:17 PM

Thanks for the responses. They were generally helpful, but not specifically so. I found the following question posted a while back. Unfortunately, I don't have enough "juice" on this list yet to email him/her directly. Any chance anyone else can contact inshallamiami for me and post his/her reply?

Here's the post:

inshallamiami

inshallamiami is on a distinguished road
Morgan 34 cut less bearing replacement
Anyone remove the cutless bearing from their Morgan 34? Did you have to remove the rudder?pull the shaft?

We are hauling her and want to replace the cutless bearing -- there is a bit of wiggle which concerns us.

All we can find online refers to boats with struts but our Morgan has a stern tube.

Thanks!

Kutter 05-02-2013 04:26 PM

Not as common in the States but many shaft bearings are now fitted on epoxy as a clearance fit, to remove these you just heat the carrier and the epoxy softens. No pullers required. Some bearing manufacturers recommend this type of fit.

bobtook 11-06-2013 04:01 PM

Dan,
did you have to drop the rudder?
where did you buy you cutlass bearing... get the right one

CalebD 11-06-2013 04:12 PM

Bob,
We bought our new Cutless bearing from: Cutless Bearings for Sale. Buy Johnson Duramax Cutless Bearings today.
The critical dimension is the shaft diameter followed by the length of the bearing.