SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Morgan (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/morgan/)
-   -   Morgan Out Island 413,- Who Else is Active? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/morgan/98576-morgan-out-island-413-who-else-active.html)

CaptainForce 04-16-2013 10:50 PM

Morgan Out Island 413,- Who Else is Active?

As the years go by I see fewer of my sisterships actively cruising. We are soon northbound to the Chesapeake on our 1973 Morgan OI "Aythya" which we have been cruising for 28 years. We are hull # 172. 'calling out to some of the other 413s,- Who's there?

Kraysco 04-21-2014 09:40 PM

Re: Morgan Out Island 413,- Who Else is Active?

Greetings Aythya Crew,

We are up on the north end of the Chesapeake in Havre de Grace with 'SAEL', our 1971 OI 413 #10. She was in pretty rough shape when I found her but she is coming along.

We'll be heading down the bay for the first couple weeks in June. If you are anywhere around, it would be great to get together.

Kevin

CaptainForce 04-22-2014 07:32 AM

Kevin, We were at Havre De Grace a few years back,- maybe four or five and I remember briefly meeting someone with another Morgan OI 41'. The boat did have the look of a solid hull, but with a lot of cosmetic needs. ......OK, I'll say it, ....it was ugly, but with potential. We were not at Tidewater Marine, but at the City Marina by the park. Could this have been you?

We are starting late northbound from Florida and we might be to the Chesapeake by late June.

SAILJOB 05-27-2014 09:33 AM

Hello from Chartwell. We sail our 1989 Morgan 41 from our home port of Northport, NY on Long Island. Hoping you folks might be able to answer a question. How do I know if I have enough grease in my carrier bearing that is just forward of the stuffing box ?

CaptainForce 05-27-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAILJOB (Post 1874378)
............... How do I know if I have enough grease in my carrier bearing that is just forward of the stuffing box ?

I find that I have enough grease in my carrier bearing when, after a half hour run or more, I can hold my finger against the bearing housing without pain. I expect it to be uncomfortably hot. I have also taken the temperature with a hand held laser pointing temp. gun and found this normal operating temperature between 115* & 130* F.

I did replace this bearing about four years ago with a VXB bearing part- ucf207-20 (code kit 11520) for my 1&1/4" shaft. Caution: I did need to take my new bearing to a machine shop to hone out the inside diameter a bit for a fit; however, I'm very pleased with the fit & function. I replaced the old bearing more for a caution due to noise than due to heat.