Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction > Multihull
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2014

smj is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I suspect the slip costs depend on where you cruise and what your beam is. Snook Bight, for example, did not charge more per foot for the cat, but only had two slips. Marathon charged through the nose because they could... there were really no other options!! I have not checked with Key West yet but I suspect similar prices as Marathon.

Lots of good info on this thread. I have enjoyed reading it.

Brian
The Marathon City Marina doesn't charge extra for a wide beam, but the ambiance at City Marina may be lacking compared to Marathon Marina!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The Marathon City Marina doesn't charge extra for a wide beam, but the ambiance at City Marina may be lacking compared to Marathon Marina!
No, but they stay full during season (are even still full right now) and it also forces you to come in via Sister Creek. That can be an adventure in itself. I just saw a Cat run aground coming in there the other day. The powerlines over the bridge are 65 which restricts access that way too. Sombrero only has one option at the last slip, or they would put you on the wall (yuck!). Dockside does not have any that I can see. Dont think Burdines does either. Marathon pretty much has the market and they know it.

THe point is that slippage can be an issue. It does not mean you may not be able to find one, but it does mean you may have to look a lot harder or pay more. If any of you long term Multihullers have more suggestions for this, let me know. But I realistically need a 26 foot beam (24' + 1' either side) for my 44, and maybe more. THere simply are not many options for this except T Heads or walls or very large slips. Am I missing something?

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-13-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Oh, and I agree about the ambiance, but City Marina does attract a lot of great people and a LOT OF KIDs!

What is your boat btw, SMJ?

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-13-2014

Quote:
No, but they stay full during season (are even still full right now) and it also forces you to come in via Sister Creek. That can be an adventure in itself. I just saw a Cat run aground coming in there the other day. The powerlines over the bridge are 65 which restricts access that way too. Sombrero only has one option at the last slip, or they would put you on the wall (yuck!). Dockside does not have any that I can see. Dont think Burdines does either. Marathon pretty much has the market and they know it.

THe point is that slippage can be an issue. It does not mean you may not be able to find one, but it does mean you may have to look a lot harder or pay more. If any of you long term Multihullers have more suggestions for this, let me know. But I realistically need a 26 foot beam (24' + 1' either side) for my 44, and maybe more. THere simply are not many options for this except T Heads or walls or very large slips. Am I missing something?

Brian
Not sure if I know of a different Marina in Marathon that could accept your beam except Marathon Boatyard. But that would be a side tie.
You would be able to haul in Key Largo at the old Boats and Tires.
We've been using Sisters Creek for 23 years, never had any problems and never seen below 4.5-5 feet. There are a couple of shallow spots that you have to watch for though.
Old 03-13-2014

Quote:
Oh, and I agree about the ambiance, but City Marina does attract a lot of great people and a LOT OF KIDs!

What is your boat btw, SMJ?
Yes, and definitely moved a little more upscale since it was Pat and Kelly's years ago! Though I do miss Boot Key being all anchorage.
We are cat less right now but have a contract on an older Crowther Spindrift 37. So hopefully in a few weeks we will be back in the swing!
Old 03-13-2014
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I just saw a Cat run aground coming in there the other day.
!!

As long as you're seeing stuff that's supposed to be impossible - was Elvis aboard?
Old 03-13-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Not sure if I know of a different Marina in Marathon that could accept your beam except Marathon Boatyard. But that would be a side tie.
You would be able to haul in Key Largo at the old Boats and Tires.
We've been using Sisters Creek for 23 years, never had any problems and never seen below 4.5-5 feet. There are a couple of shallow spots that you have to watch for though.
Yep. Takes a little bit of local knowledge. This cat can aground right where the markers are outside of Sombrero Beach. Came to a grinding halt. Me and the kids were there cleaning six months of growth off of the kayaks and heard the shouting!! He got off fine though. I shouldn't have laughed. I have run aground more times than I can count.

Anyways, take a look at my blog if you want a good chuckle on what grows on a Kayak after six months.

Congrats on your boat! Hope it works out. If you make it back over to Marathon, give me a shout if I am still here. We will have a cold one.

Take care,

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-13-2014
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
it appears that you have one of those catalac catamarans - right?
and you have the guts to pick at such a design: (first one)
Lock Crowther Study Plans
not to step on your toes, but these catalacs are the worst cat designs i have ever seen... they look more like a motor cat where the designer has simply put a mast up...
http://www.catamaransite.com/catalac_12m.html
some key features: 18,500 pds (that's 8,1 t) for a 12 m boat?
i know ballasted monohulls of that length which weigh only have that mass... the 50 foot crowther weighs only 16,500 pds ...
no clearance under the enormous bridgedeck which extends all the way to the bows - motor cat again?
a length/beam ratio of only 42 %? the crowther has 60%...

have you ever been in some serious weather with some good seaway with such a cat?
i'd really like to hear, how that thing behaved...

Wow

More internet armchair experts..

A 12 meter Catamaran displaces 18,000 lbs. From that same website you referenced.........

Solaris 42 24,640 lbs
Admiral 40 18,739 lbs
Dean 400 18000 lbs
Catalac 12M 18,500 lbs

Displacement is not the same as "weight" now is it?

Catalac catamarans regularly cross oceans. There are two examples on that same website, if you bothered to read it.

Also a Catalac 12M survived the Queen's Birthday Storm, at ground zero.

Google it.

It was very impressive as every monohull caught in that same storm rolled, and was dismasted with serious injuries and deaths.

Your ignorance just trashed one of the most sea worthy catamarans of them all.

And by the way I love that website reference you used. I ought to, I wrote it.
manatee likes this.

Last edited by TropicCat; 03-13-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-13-2014

Quote:
Yep. Takes a little bit of local knowledge. This cat can aground right where the markers are outside of Sombrero Beach. Came to a grinding halt. Me and the kids were there cleaning six months of growth off of the kayaks and heard the shouting!! He got off fine though. I shouldn't have laughed. I have run aground more times than I can count.

Anyways, take a look at my blog if you want a good chuckle on what grows on a Kayak after six months.

Congrats on your boat! Hope it works out. If you make it back over to Marathon, give me a shout if I am still here. We will have a cold one.

Take care,

Brian
If your on the wrong side of the red you hit reef, wrong side of the green not to bad! I bet that was a job getting all that growth of the kayaks!
Hopefully we will be in Marathon in the early summer or in the fall. Will give you a shout when we get there.
AJ
Old 03-13-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
i'd say a 100% of all the boats in ireland, england, scotland, norway, sweden, germany, netherlands, belgium, etc bb - just to name a few...
and most of the french boaters located at the atlantic coast...

all of those are sailing not only well north 45° but also in the northern atlantic which could really turn into a nasty affair...

holy crap - just looked at the map...
i had no idea, that the US is that far south... i mean - 45° N is right at the canadian/US border on the east coast... wow
no wonder you get the impression that 45° N only a minority of boaters are actually sailing...
45° N here in europe is at the height of bordeaux in france...
even the northern part of the adriatic reaches further north - rovinj in istria, croatia is further north...
Agreed, and you support my point , in a sense. The North Sea has no reality to me. Coastal shallow and warm protected waters do.

The point I make is the tool should fit the job. A deep-draft 50-footer can't go most places I do, and it's way more work to sail. And if I were sailing somewhere else I'd get a different boat. But I would not feel the need to have one go-everywhere, do everything boat, because it does not exist, either among monos or multis. This is not a multi vs, mono conflict, not at its heart.
smackdaddy likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber