Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction > Multihull
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post

Also a Catalac 12M survived the Queen's Birthday Storm, at ground zero.

Google it.

It was very impressive as every monohull caught in that same storm rolled, and was dismasted with serious injuries and deaths.
That is patently false, and it does little to further the discussion to spread such blatant disinformation...

I just happen to have a copy Kim Taylor's 1994 PACIFIC STORM SURVEY, published in NZ in 1996. A very in-depth analysis subtitled "The Boats that Survived and the Lessons Learned", featuring firsthand post mortems of approximately 20 yachts caught by the Queen's Birthday Storm. More than half of those monohulls reported nothing more serious or catastrophic beyond a knockdown close to 90 degrees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
You aren't aware of the Queens birthday storm? The only event in our FRP boating history that caught catamarans and monohulls in the same storm category 5 storm. The result was the event that launched catamaran sales in the 1990s. The rest is history...
2 of the 3 cats in the '94 Storm were abandoned - a much higher percentage than the monohulls that declared Maydays or were abandoned - yet THAT is the "event that launched catamaran sales in the '90s" ???

Seriously? Those early catamaran devotees must have had a curious way of analyzing the numbers, alright... :-)

Multihulls certainly have a great deal to recommend for the type of sailing and cruising many people do today, but if you're talking about sailing offshore, and going the sort of places that interest me, I'll stick with the opinion of the late Sir Peter Blake... He knew a thing or two about sailing both monos and cats in open water, after all:

Quote:

For a family cruise, I asked him, what would be his ideal boat?

"It may be different from other people's, but it is a fairly heavy displacement monohull, certainly not one that sits on top of the water and not a multihull. I would not have a multihull as my ideal cruising boat because they do need a fair bit more attention than a monohull. Under extreme conditions if I am on a boat like ENZA, fantastic, it gives you a much better ride than a monohull, but with the family in a 35-40 footer, I'll take the reasonably heavy displacement mono with not too much glass in the cabin sides. People can get fairly well down in the boat, closer to where it pivots. There is a lot less motion and you can get quite a reasonable ride."

- Kim Taylor, 1994 PACIFIC STORM SURVEY, page 53
harmonic and capt vimes like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 03-14-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
capt vimes (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014
Banned

Location Catamaran is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
I think the main problem with catamarans is that they are, almost without exception, ugly.
My wife would probably love one, she doesn't like heeling. The space would be nice. Their ability to go to wind and their ability to tack would concern me. Perhaps if we were to go for an extended cruising lifestyle they would make sense, but for the sailing I do, I like my mono.
I agree, cat are ugly but roomy and all ladies loves them, and for us (charter co) is very important because are wives managing the wallet
Cheers from France
PaulinVictoria likes this.
Old 03-14-2014

Shockwave is on a distinguished road

Checking rates at "my boat insurance quote.co.uk" a catamaran was ~20% higher annual premium then a monohull. All information was the same except for clicking mono or multi. Most insurers would not insure the cat.
Old 03-14-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

Interesting. My highlight standard is different from yours, Eisberg:

"For a family cruise, I asked him, what would be his ideal boat?

'It may be different from other people's, but it is a fairly heavy displacement monohull, certainly not one that sits on top of the water and not a multihull. I would not have a multihull as my ideal cruising boat because they do need a fair bit more attention than a monohull. Under extreme conditions if I am on a boat like ENZA, fantastic, it gives you a much better ride than a monohull, but with the family in a 35-40 footer, I'll take the reasonably heavy displacement mono with not too much glass in the cabin sides. People can get fairly well down in the boat, closer to where it pivots. There is a lot less motion and you can get quite a reasonable ride."

- Kim Taylor, 1994 PACIFIC STORM SURVEY, page 53

Italics: by the above in italics, I take it to mean that in order to get a reasonable ride in the heavy displacement mono, you have to get 'fairly well down in the boat…'

Last edited by Multihullgirl; 03-14-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2014

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

HA!, I'll go back and read the thread in a bit but just to answer your question, I can not stand them. Its all good though, sail what ya want. They do have advantages, I will not deny.
Old 03-14-2014

smj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
Checking rates at "my boat insurance quote.co.uk" a catamaran was ~20% higher annual premium then a monohull. All information was the same except for clicking mono or multi. Most insurers would not insure the cat.
How can you compare insurance if the insurance company doesn't know the brand they're insuring? Something here doesn't make sense.
Old 03-14-2014
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
How can you compare insurance if the insurance company doesn't know the brand they're insuring? Something here doesn't make sense.
Or the obvious difference in the replacement value of the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-14-2014

Shockwave is on a distinguished road

What difference does it make if the mono is a Beneteau or a Dufour?

What difference does it make if the cat is a Lagoon or a Prout?

If ALL the data is the same: location, value, age, cruising location, no racing, experience, except the number of hulls. The cat is 20% more expensive to insure for the same agreed upon value. If it's insurable that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
How can you compare insurance if the insurance
company doesn't know the brand they're insuring? Something here doesn't make sense.
Old 03-14-2014

smj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
What difference does it make if the mono is a Beneteau or a Dufour?

What difference does it make if the cat is a Lagoon or a Prout?

If ALL the data is the same: location, value, age, cruising location, no racing, experience, except the number of hulls. The cat is 20% more expensive to insure for the same agreed upon value. If it's insurable that is.
Makes all the difference in the world. Would an insurance company quote a Contessa 26 the same as a Mac Gregor 26 for offshore work? Different manufacturered boats have different risks.
Old 03-14-2014

luck66 is on a distinguished road

Tropic Cat you posted "No where in my post do I advocate any thing." You are in your original post advocating catamarans. Spew all you want.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.