Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction > Multihull
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2014
A melon with a dream...

mrhoneydew is on a distinguished road
How do you feel about catamarans?

How do I feel about catamarans? Well, I feel they are for people who want to float their luxury condo and MAYBE go out and hoist a roller-furled main and self-tacking jib at the push of a button from the salon in ideal conditions. They are for taking up a massive footprint at anchor (or better yet at the dock) for people who need a lot of space to wander around on and who simply can't seem to leave the plush living room sofa, laz-z-boy, and big screen tv at home. Granite countertops and Viking range in the galley? Of course! Huge picture windows? Yessiree! Look mom, there's ocean on the nature channel!

In short, I don't particularly care for them. Not if you're a sailor anyway.

(Oooo... I bet this one's not gonna get a lot of 'likes.')
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2014
Moondust

Ops is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

I'm really surprise by the answers here. Catamaran are way better than mono on every aspect other than the price.
Old 03-17-2014

jzk is on a distinguished road
Except for the fact that one almost never finds a roller furling main on a catamaran while they are quite common on monohulls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhoneydew:1636362
How do I feel about catamarans? Well, I feel they are for people who want to float their luxury condo and MAYBE go out and hoist a roller-furled main and self-tacking jib at the push of a button from the salon in ideal conditions. They are for taking up a massive footprint at anchor (or better yet at the dock) for people who need a lot of space to wander around on and who simply can't seem to leave the plush living room sofa, laz-z-boy, and big screen tv at home. Granite countertops and Viking range in the galley? Of course! Huge picture windows? Yessiree! Look mom, there's ocean on the nature channel!

Last edited by jzk; 03-17-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-17-2014

MikeJohns is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
...... Obviously you have a distaste for cats. Please tell me your experience sailing them. I've sailed both cats and monos and prefer cats but I don't have anything against monos. I realize the positive and negative aspects of both.
No distaste. But soon as conditions deteriorate a sailing Cat is only as safe as the on watch skipper and needs a lot of care. It's important to understand why. Extraordinary caution is required for safe operation in heavy weather and itís usually experienced skippers that have ended up in trouble trying to sail on in dangerous weather. If skippers don't understand the need for extraordinary caution why is that? People posting disinformation certainly won't help best practice.

You say you realize the pros and cons but how can you rationally form an objective comparison if you base your opinion on misinformation? As I keep saying the multihull community abounds with statements that are not sensible, simple statements that make multihulls look good in comparison with monohulls.

For example hereís another general statement you made that really is meaningless but sounds convincing :
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Takes much more force to flip a cat than roll a mono.Ö.
Thatís meaningless unless you first fully define both craft, then the heading and the combination of wind and waves. IN naval architecture the study is called Response amplitude operators or RAOís. Itís a complex subject that certainly doesnít reduce to a simplistic statement. At least not without some considerable bias.
Old 03-17-2014

smj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhoneydew View Post

Couldn't agree more if your talking about the new breed of charter cat that dominates probably 90% of the new cat market. If the trend continues, the hull beams will get wider until eventually they will join in the middle making for a big party barge!
Old 03-17-2014

MikeJohns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Are you suggesting that monohulls flying bare poles dont get knocked down? The big worry in these storms are large breaking waves, not so much the wind.
I'm presuming that if you anchor a 32' cat for storm conditions it's going to be a sheltered anchorage.
Old 03-17-2014

smj is on a distinguished road

Multihull Design Considerations for Seaworthiness
Old 03-17-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The nice thing about the cat with the drogue is that the cat maintains stability with her stern to the wind. The mono might not always be so lucky. With the mono, in the really bad stuff, it could oscillate and present a quarter to the wind/wave which can lead to a knockdown.

And the experience on the crew will be much more mild in the cat.
Well, until a large breaking sea crashes thru those sliding glass doors, perhaps... :-) I just don't see how it's possible to make such a blanket statement, we'll just have to agree to disagree, as I see a whole lot of cats out there (monohulls, as well) with configurations aft that I wouldn't want to present to large breaking seas lying to a JSD...

Quote:
All of this is documented pretty well on the Jordan Series Drogue website.
Those about the only examples out there of cats using a JSD, and I wish they were a bit more specific about the particular types of boats, etc... Victor Shane's DROGUE DATA BASE, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't include a single such reference, the preferred tactic among multihullers seems to be a parachute sea anchor off the bow. I can't speak from much experience on this, having sailed on a large cat for only a period of about 10 days, but that tactic would be my first inclination if caught in heavy weather in a cat... So, I'll stick with Steve Dashew's final conclusion re the JSD:

"On the other hand, many cruising catamarans, with their aft sliding doors - would be extremely vulnerable to a boarding sea from the stern - as would any modern racing or cruising yacht with an open transom."

Quote:
One thing I like about some current designs are the swinging comoanionway doors vs. Hatch boards. Being able to seal off the comoanionway in a pinch is a great feature.
We'll have to agree to disagree once again, I have come to absolutely DETEST swinging companionway doors on virtually every boat I have ever run that features them... They are invariably very poorly executed, are forever snagging foul weather gear and such, and in many cases present a real danger to crew, with a great potential for causing a very serious injury...

Absolutely boggles the mind, that a major popular builder goes with something like this, what the hell are they thinking?

Obviously, they're thinking that their primary 'market' desires boats that are more like houses, than boats... Or, 'sailboats' that are more like powerboats... :-)

Never ceases to amaze, some of the stuff one sees on today's floating RVs. These doors were mounted on a continuous hinge, so were not removable... A grisly accident, just waiting to happen...

Quote:
I wonder about all of the Windows also, but I think they are significantly stronger than they seem. I also wonder about having to rebed them.
Uhhh, think again... :-) No doubt that may be the case on a boat like an Oyster, perhaps, but I think sticking these large windows in the topsides of many production boats is one of the worst trends in boatbuilding today...

A year ago, I witnessed a boat pinned against the outside of the Megadock in Charleston in a blow, her fenders literally squashed flat by the pressure to the extent that the hull was coming into contact with the dock in the vicinity of one of the picture windows (Astonishingly, placed at the point of the boat's maximum beam amidships)

The inward deflection of the hull was clearly visible, and the 'cracking/splintering' noises being produced were rather disconcerting, to say the least. The fact that this was all taking place in very close proximity to the boat's chainplates would have to give any serious sailor pause regarding the monumental stupidity of cutting such holes in the topsides of today's ordinary production boats...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 03-17-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Jon- agree with your critique of many recent monos and the French multis I see in the Bahamas/Caribbean/ eastern US. Still I believe a multi can be executed in a safe fashion. Personally I am use to the idea my hard Bimini and possibly the lights of my hard dodger may blow out in an extreme pooping but know the basic structure of the boat is sound and will survive a blow with a JSD.
A prior thread discussed the loss of steerage in a new multi taken aback by a boarding head sea resulting in abandonment.
I'm curious to know from you and others what specific models of multis are considered safe offshore boats? The features referred to previously do seem to do incorporated in early designs such as the Prout ( pre date Broadblue) 39s. Are there current designs that also meet the test? I had opportunity to crawl around the recent Chris White boat. It seems a fine craft and also a safe vessel.
Old 03-17-2014

BobnCamie is on a distinguished road

Cats are ugly? That depends on who is looking. I really wish I could afford one. I will live with our S-2, and we really like it, but we WILL own a cat our next, and I think, final boat. That ugly statement is just a sailing snob spouting off and showing his limited amount of ability for flexibility for other views. My cents worth