How do you feel about catamarans? - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 123Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 308 Old 03-11-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,783
Thanks: 1
Thanked 200 Times in 165 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
It seems to me that there are zero replies from cat owners that aren't defensive. Unwarranted defensive. I tried to scan the replies for this bashing and see little to none. Way more cat ranting.

Maybe that good feedback for the OP. Get a cat and you'll hang with a bunch of hair trigger ranters.
Not to mention, the OP asked "How do you FEEL about catamarans?"

And, more specifically:

Quote:

What does everyone think about catamaran sailboats?
Seems to me he got pretty much what he asked for, no?

:-)
JonEisberg is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 308 Old 03-11-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: new england
Posts: 2,391
Thanks: 55
Thanked 50 Times in 47 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

tropicat- I was actually saying something very supportive of multi hulls if you bothered to read it. I was saying given prior posts implying you would be trapped inside a multi this in fact is erroneous. There are escape hatches. Personally I would much rather be on the top of an upside down multi than in a raft. Outside extreme circumstances turning turtle is unlikely and even then potentially manageable as you wait for rescue.You would seem to rather be argumentative.
I also said both the new Chris White boat ( has two rotating wing masts with "jibs" on roller furling in front of them) and the new Neel designed boats seem to be great boats. I said what was holding me back was the expense and love of my current boat. I only noted my limited experience was the motion of light multis was quite different than monos.
I would suggest you hang sails on your stick rather than place it up your fundament if you continue to be looking for a fight. I come here to learn and share - you will find a empty ring. Approach the world with kindness we all carry heavy burdens.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 03-11-2014 at 08:59 PM.
outbound is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #63 of 308 Old 03-11-2014
smj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 178
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
It seems to me that there are zero replies from cat owners that aren't defensive. Unwarranted defensive. I tried to scan the replies for this bashing and see little to none. Way more cat ranting.

Maybe that good feedback for the OP. Get a cat and you'll hang with a bunch of hair trigger ranters.
Obviously you haven't read my posts. I think I was more than fair giving my opinions on both multis and monos.
I brought up facts according to insurance companies, not my biased opinion. I also stated that there are certain things I like about a mono compared to a multi. I also believe there has been more biased uneducated opinions brought on by mono hullers that probably have little if any experience with multis. Let's face it, catamarans are here to stay and there's a reason for that.
smj is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #64 of 308 Old 03-11-2014
smj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 178
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
tropicat- I was actually saying something very supportive of multi hulls if you bothered to read it. I was saying given prior posts implying you would be trapped inside a multi this in fact is erroneous. There are escape hatches. Personally I would much rather be on the top of an upside down multi than in a raft. Outside extreme circumstances turning turtle is unlikely and even then potentially manageable as you wait for rescue.You would seem to rather be argumentative.
I also said both the new Chris White boat ( has two rotating wing masts with "jibs" on roller furling in front of them) and the new Neel designed boats seem to be great boats. I said what was holding me back was the expense and love of my current boat. I only noted my limited experience was the motion of light multis was quite different than monos.
I would suggest you hang sails on your stick rather than place it up your fundament if you continue to be looking for a fight. I come here to learn and share - you will find a empty ring. Approach the world with kindness we all carry heavy burdens.
I took your post as being both honest and informative.
smj is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #65 of 308 Old 03-11-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,783
Thanks: 1
Thanked 200 Times in 165 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I brought up facts according to insurance companies, not my biased opinion.
yeah, this one certainly caught my eye:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
But they have found injury to crew to be an 8-9 times greater risk on a mono.
I don't know, that sounds wildly inflated, to me... Would you happen to have a cite for that one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Let's face it, catamarans are here to stay and there's a reason for that.
Let's face it, one could say precisely the same thing about monohulls, no?

:-)
JonEisberg is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #66 of 308 Old 03-11-2014
smj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 178
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
yeah, this one certainly caught my eye:



I don't know, that sounds wildly inflated, to me... Would you happen to have a cite for that one?



Let's face it, one could say precisely the same thing about monohulls, no?

:-)
Wish I had the cite but I don't. The report came out about 5 years ago. When we bought our first cruising cat in 1992 Lloyd's Of London had it the same risk as a monohull.
No doubt cats are becoming more popular, but not for the right reasons in my opinion. I don't consider the charter cats to be a good example of the benefits that a well designed cat could offer.
smj is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #67 of 308 Old 03-11-2014
Member
 
Dog8It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 89
Thanks: 20
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

I used to be skeptical of catamaran's sailing characteristics until I saw this beauty: G-Force 1400

It looks like this one could keep up with monos and then some.
smj likes this.

__________________

Doolittle

Com-Pac 35
__________________

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.
Jacques Yves Cousteau
Dog8It is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #68 of 308 Old 03-12-2014
smj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 178
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog8It View Post
I used to be skeptical of catamaran's sailing characteristics until I saw this beauty: G-Force 1400

It looks like this one could keep up with monos and then some.
Now that's boat porn!
smj is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #69 of 308 Old 03-12-2014
Senior Member
 
capt vimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 626
Thanks: 8
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 2
 
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog8It View Post
I used to be skeptical of catamaran's sailing characteristics until I saw this beauty: G-Force 1400

It looks like this one could keep up with monos and then some.
i'd rather prefer something like this - if i would ever get me a multihull:
SIG 45 Catamaran | Le Breton Multihull Yachts
Dog8It and Chas H like this.
capt vimes is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #70 of 308 Old 03-12-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 11,224
Thanks: 46
Thanked 235 Times in 220 Posts
Rep Power: 7
   
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Obviously you haven't read my posts..........

Let's face it, catamarans are here to stay and there's a reason for that.
Darn, you almost had me. No one is suggesting they aren't here to stay. A touch defensive? I think it just comes with the second hull.
capt vimes likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most of you know how I feel about waving, right? flyingwelshman General Discussion (sailing related) 32 08-19-2013 10:46 PM
Help I feel out of my depth rwilson37643 Boat Review and Purchase Forum 44 02-12-2012 12:21 PM
Does anyone ever feel this way? Barquito General Discussion (sailing related) 43 10-10-2010 12:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome