Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction > Multihull
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2014

smj is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Darn, you almost had me. No one is suggesting they aren't here to stay. A touch defensive? I think it just comes with the second hull.
As jealousy comes with one hull
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
One of the advantages of a cat is the deck space...which can be a little extreme, as seen above, with unintended consequences

"HEY!"
"WHAT?"
"PASS ME A BEER!"
"WHAT?"
"THROW ME A BEER!!!"
"OW!!!"
JimMcGee and capt vimes like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2014

capt vimes is on a distinguished road

thank you - made my day!
Old 03-12-2014

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

For the kind of sailing we do - weekend live aboard, fair weather coastal in thin water - I can definitely see the attraction of something like this:

Fountaine Pajot Athena 38, Fort Pierce, FL $149,000

I never gave much thought to cats in the past, but I'd take a look if/when we decide to go a little bigger. Sounds like a good excuse to do a charter to get a feel for how it sails and whether it "fits" us.

As for people on this thread being "touchy", "opinionated" and "spouting off without first hand knowledge" -- you do realize this is the Internet right?

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-12-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

I see these posts about 'not wanting to take catamarans across the pond,' but it should be noted that EVERY ONE of these boats, unless they're built in the States or the Carib, has crossed at least once. Examples:

--Fontaine-Pajot, Lagoon, and Catana are all built in France and sailed over from there.
--Wildcat, Voyage, St Francis, Leopard/Robinson & Caine, those are built and sailed over from South Africa
--Catalacs are from England, aren't they? Certainly the Prouts are.

AFAIK, the only production cats in the Americas are Gunboat and Gemini. Manta was, but I think they're out of business, and I'm not sure about where the PDQ hails from.

Last edited by Multihullgirl; 03-12-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2014
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Look up Bumfuzzle and multi versus mono. He wrote a great article comparing the two.

As for this boat - it looks like a nightmare. But it's pretty cheap. If you don't give a damn and just want to sail one - maybe it's okay. Definitely not my kind of ride though. The scotch glasses are dirty.
I can't understand how you would not clean up a boat for photographs when selling. Those photos are the marine equivalent of curb appeal.

I vacationed on a Voyage 58 a couple of years ago. Unless the wind was just right, we were motoring. As a floating condo it was incomparable. As a sailboat, it made a nice floating condo. I would never own one.
Old 03-12-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
For the kind of sailing we do - weekend live aboard, fair weather coastal in thin water - I can definitely see the attraction of something like this:

Fountaine Pajot Athena 38, Fort Pierce, FL $149,000

I never gave much thought to cats in the past, but I'd take a look if/when we decide to go a little bigger. Sounds like a good excuse to do a charter to get a feel for how it sails and whether it "fits" us.

As for people on this thread being "touchy", "opinionated" and "spouting off without first hand knowledge" -- you do realize this is the Internet right?

The sailing school I've taken ASA lessons teaches 114 on one of those. I've checked it out when I've been at the marina and it looks pretty sweet.

I'm tempted to take the class this summer, on the other hand that's $700 I could use to fix up my own boat instead... But I would like to see what a cat feels like; I've never sailed on one.
Old 03-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
I see these posts about 'not wanting to take catamarans across the pond,' but it should be noted that EVERY ONE of these boats, unless they're built in the States or the Carib, has crossed at least once. Examples:

--Fontaine-Pajot, Lagoon, and Catana are all built in France and sailed over from there.
--Wildcat, Voyage, St Francis, Leopard/Robinson & Caine, those are built and sailed over from South Africa
--Catalacs are from England, aren't they? Certainly the Prouts are.

AFAIK, the only production cats in the Americas are Gunboat and Gemini. Manta was, but I think they're out of business, and I'm not sure about where the PDQ hails from.
European production cats have crossed the pond at least once, for sure...
If you buy one of those new in the US, have they been sailed there or been shipped on the deck of a freighter?

I am confident, that a cat is a marvelous ship all along the barefoot route... But i intend to do cape horn for instance and the very north atlantic route...
I had my knockdown from a freak wave and was happy to sit at the wheel of a mono...
As i said before, cats are good for bay hopping and the one or other idle cruise but not for serious sailing...
And this is no bashing, but a personal preference!

Ah right - i forgot...
I do not own a cat so i am not qualified to have a knowledge or preference... Sorry that my roughly 1000 nm on cats in the atlantic and the med do not count for at least an opinion...
I am ashamed to even have uttered some words - please, web masters delete my unqualified rants.

Last edited by capt vimes; 03-12-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2014

smj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
European production cats have crossed the pond at least once, for sure...
If you buy one of those new in the US, have they been sailed there or been shipped on the deck of a freighter?

I am confident, that a cat is a marvelous ship all along the barefoot route... But i intend to do cape horn for instance and the very north atlantic route...
I had my knockdown from a freak wave and was happy to sit at the wheel of a mono...
As i said before, cats are good for bay hopping and the one or other idle cruise but not for serious sailing...
And this is no bashing, but a personal preference!

Ah right - i forgot...
I do not own a cat so i am not qualified to have a knowledge or preference... Sorry that my roughly 1000 nm on cats in the atlantic and the med do not count for at least an opinion...
I am ashamed to even have uttered some words - please, web masters delete my unqualified rants.
Now wait a minute, I've got over 1000 miles on a mono and think they would make great day sailers, but full time cruisers? No way!
Now we have over 40,000 miles on catamarans and there's no way I would sail one around Cape Horn.......but I guess I wouldn't sail a mono around the Horn either
Old 03-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Now we have over 40,000 miles on catamarans and there's no way I would sail one around Cape Horn.......but I guess I wouldn't sail a mono around the Horn either
And i am going to do so without hesitance... Well not a multi, of course...
Different courses, different horses... Isn't that the saying?