Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Newport
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By svHyLyte

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2014

Fraid knot is on a distinguished road
Broken prop shaft brace Newport 41

Hi I fired up my 1979 41 and heard a horrible vibration, jumped under the boat and found the brace broken, guess it had its last day, anyone else had to replace ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2014

stpabr is on a distinguished road
Re: Broken prop shaft brace Newport 41

Brace of the Strut?

"It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better."
-Sir Francis Drake
Old 06-21-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid knot View Post
Hi I fired up my 1979 41 and heard a horrible vibration, jumped under the boat and found the brace broken, guess it had its last day, anyone else had to replace ?
A broken shaft strut is not unusual but it is a very infrequent failure. If yours is a casting with a machined shaft gallery, you may be able to send the parts to a foundry that can use your old part to make a mold for a new strut. More important, however, is to determine the cause of the failure of your strut. Most often, with cast bronze struts, it is the weakening of the strut due to electrolysis. If that is so in your case (the bronze will be very pink in color) you need to ascertain the cause.

If the strut isn't a casting, although I find that unlikely considering the age of the boat and where they were built, a good machine shop can likely cobble up a replacement without too much difficulty. Again, however, determining the cause of the failure is important.

In either case, you will need to ensure that your shaft hasn't been bent by the whipping action of the prob-broken strut when you engaged the engine. Unfortunately, a bent shaft is often a secondary effect of a broken strut. In some cases, the shaft can be straightened if the bend isn't too great, if not, however.... Unfortunately, the solution of this problem will not be inexpensive. You have my sympathies...
Faster likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 06-21-2014
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I've seen friends replace these struts on a few different boats by now.
If you didn't have a log or line cause the damage. A common cause for failure would be electrolysis causing "pink" bronze.

There are "off the shelf" replacements out there you just need to get close to the same as you had. Digging out the old glass and filler, and getting to the inside which is often under a fuel tank can be disheartening but It can be done. NOT in the water, Also it's a good time to think about shafts, couplings, seals, prop removal/replace. good luck!

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-09-2014
1979 Newport 41

sailorrick is on a distinguished road

Had a diver take a look and my featherd prop actually was not opening all the way and vibrated the strut to the point of snapping over the years, glad it snapped instead of tore out of the hull with a gaping hole , looks glassed in , am in. Hopes of finding a strut or brace befor hauling out any help would be great

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.