SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

N30 Propeller corrosion

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  albrazzi 
#1 ·
Diver reports my propeller has some bad corrosion on my 1983 N30 MKIII. (Universal 5416)

Options? or is replacement my only option? If so, how about replacement options/sources.

"Amateur hour" question: I'm in SoCal so she's in the water all year. For service or replacement does it need to be hauled out or can a diver remove/replace.

I ask because I'm going to be away for a bit (son's getting out of the Navy, driving with him back cross country) so it would be a great time to get this done while I'm away, not using her.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Yes a diver should be able to replace, and if you keep your boat in the water year round, perhaps it is time to have it pulled out and bottom job done, and replace it then? Be sure your zincs are replaced at least once a year, that should keep corrosion down. Are you at a mooring or a slip? Generally slips have more potential for corrosion because of all the boats plugged into shore power. You should also have your marina checked for stray currant and have your own boats electrical system checked for stray current. Stray current is the cause of most corrosion issues, and the depletion of zincs. Installing a isolator may help as well. When was the last time she had bottom work done, and zincs changed?

#8 ·
I ran across this thread researching the exact same problem I am having on a Newport of the exact same year and model. What ended up being the outcome? And can you share with me what propellor company you may have used? I am leaning towards Martec but they are pricey! Any advice would be appreciated!

#9 · (Edited)
Agree with everything Miata said but I'd go a little further .... An electrical inspection would also be worthwhile, Galvanic corrosion or possibly stray current corrosion can be serious issues. Find an electrician with an ABYC Corrosion Analysis certificate and don't hire anyone who refers to it as "electrolysis".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.