N30 Propeller corrosion - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-16-2016 Thread Starter

N30 Propeller corrosion

Diver reports my propeller has some bad corrosion on my 1983 N30 MKIII. (Universal 5416)

Options? or is replacement my only option? If so, how about replacement options/sources.

"Amateur hour" question: I'm in SoCal so she's in the water all year. For service or replacement does it need to be hauled out or can a diver remove/replace.

I ask because I'm going to be away for a bit (son's getting out of the Navy, driving with him back cross country) so it would be a great time to get this done while I'm away, not using her.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-16-2016
Old enough to know better

Re: N30 Propeller corrosion

Yes a diver should be able to replace, and if you keep your boat in the water year round, perhaps it is time to have it pulled out and bottom job done, and replace it then? Be sure your zincs are replaced at least once a year, that should keep corrosion down. Are you at a mooring or a slip? Generally slips have more potential for corrosion because of all the boats plugged into shore power. You should also have your marina checked for stray currant and have your own boats electrical system checked for stray current. Stray current is the cause of most corrosion issues, and the depletion of zincs. Installing a isolator may help as well. When was the last time she had bottom work done, and zincs changed?

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #3 of 10 Old 03-16-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Yes a diver should be able to replace, and if you keep your boat in the water year round, perhaps it is time to have it pulled out and bottom job done, and replace it then? Be sure your zincs are replaced at least once a year, that should keep corrosion down. Are you at a mooring or a slip? Generally slips have more potential for corrosion because of all the boats plugged into shore power. You should also have your marina checked for stray currant and have your own boats electrical system checked for stray current. Stray current is the cause of most corrosion issues, and the depletion of zincs. Installing a isolator may help as well. When was the last time she had bottom work done, and zincs changed?
The bottom paint is fair (2012) and I was hoping to get through this summer before needing it done again. The shaft zinc was replaced when this prop corrosion was reported to me (I changed divers and they did an initial u/w inspection). She's in a marina.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-16-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfprimal View Post
The bottom paint is fair (2012) and I was hoping to get through this summer before needing it done again. The shaft zinc was replaced when this prop corrosion was reported to me (I changed divers and they did an initial u/w inspection). She's in a marina.
Well a paint job from 2012 is a couple of years overdue. I would be concerned about thru-hulls as they are likely gone too, along with the shaft and any other metal that contacts the water. my suggestion would be to have her pulled and all below water fittings at least evaluated if not replaced out of a sense of caution. Three years is a long time for bottom paint, let alone 4. But if the prop is corroded, it likely is not the only thing. How are your seacocks, any corrosion, and are they seacocks or at least marine ball valves? It would stink to go away for your sons celebratory drive across the country (thank him for me for his service by the way!) and come back to a boat that has sunk. Again thank your son!

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
surfprimal (03-17-2016)
post #5 of 10 Old 03-16-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Well a paint job from 2012 is a couple of years overdue. I would be concerned about thru-hulls as they are likely gone too, along with the shaft and any other metal that contacts the water. my suggestion would be to have her pulled and all below water fittings at least evaluated if not replaced out of a sense of caution. Three years is a long time for bottom paint, let alone 4. But if the prop is corroded, it likely is not the only thing. How are your seacocks, any corrosion, and are they seacocks or at least marine ball valves? It would stink to go away for your sons celebratory drive across the country (thank him for me for his service by the way!) and come back to a boat that has sunk. Again thank your son!
Fair points. I'm really looking for sources for a new propeller should I need one. Hauling her out while I'm gone is not a bad idea. P.S. I'll pass along your thanks.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-17-2016
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Take it from a hull diver with more than 21 years in the biz- everything miatapaul said is spot on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstbttms For This Useful Post:
surfprimal (03-17-2016)
post #7 of 10 Old 03-17-2016 Thread Starter

Hauling her out and getting the bottom painted, inspected & prop done is the path I'll follow. Getting quotes. Thanks for advice.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-29-2016

I ran across this thread researching the exact same problem I am having on a Newport of the exact same year and model. What ended up being the outcome? And can you share with me what propellor company you may have used? I am leaning towards Martec but they are pricey! Any advice would be appreciated!
post #9 of 10 Old 08-29-2016
Dirt Free

Agree with everything Miata said but I'd go a little further .... An electrical inspection would also be worthwhile, Galvanic corrosion or possibly stray current corrosion can be serious issues. Find an electrician with an ABYC Corrosion Analysis certificate and don't hire anyone who refers to it as "electrolysis".

Be the man Sharon thinks I am - wg
I can do that
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- wg
Be the master of your own disaster - wg
If you're not laughing, you're not doing it right. - wg
if you can live with the consequences, go for it. - wg
I yam what I yam an' thats all that I yam. - Popeye

Last edited by boatpoker; 08-29-2016 at 09:48 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-29-2016
al brazzi

Its important to check zincs regularly checking and changing right as a problem is noticed is not enough. In fairness this was the OPs comments not yours but worth mentioning. Look up dezincification (sp) of bronze fittings.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.