Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Newport
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008
Stu R

stuffinbox is on a distinguished road
Mast gear

Hi -- I'd like to introduce myself to the list. After a huge amount of help from people on the owner's list (in particular Russ W), I recently bought a 1982 Newport 41 Mk II ("North Star"), which I'm planning to keep at Emeryville, CA.

I've recently had my mast pulled in order to replace the rigging.
I'm going to install a new VHF antenna (the existing one is falling apart), masthead light (flooded), tricolor and anchor lights (none installed), replace the aft-facing masthead sheaves (could run smoother) and remove the signet wind sensors (these look pretty solid but I'm not getting a signal to the display and the wiring probably should be replaced anyway).

Does anyone know how wiring is generally secured at the exits at the top of the mast? It doesn't looks sensible to run cable directly from the devices (VHF and lights) into the mast (because of chaffing at the mast exit and because the weight of the cable is likely put strain on the device). Is there some sort of bung/plug/clamp that can hold everything in place at the mast exit to provide mechanical strength and to prevent wear? This would be for both the VHF coaxial cable and triplex needed to power for the anchor/tricolor, and duplex to the masthead/steaming light.

For the top sheaves, I'm thinking about the Garhauer's 40-MH. I think the inner diameter looks smaller than my existing pin though. How do you fit the pin size to the inner sheave diameter?

And, one last thing, some of the the existing items looked like they're screwed into the mast (wind instruments and the plate securing the pin for the sheaves). I'm guessing (but can't be sure until I remove the sheaves) that because of the poor access that there isn't a nut securing these screws on the inside of the mast. Is this likely? (Nylock screws?)

Cheers,
- Stuart
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2008

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
I used industrial shrink wrap tubing to bundle the wires at the exit point, made a grommet form rubber garden hose and used some UV proof plastic zip-tiesas a weight bearing clamp (even more then the clamping action offered by the grommet made from hose.)

As a suggestion, consider simplyfying and lightening the load up your mast by going with a wireless wind-data system fomr the masthead.I have found them to be kind of lovely to instal and use and the slight increase in cost is more then offset by the benefits.

Sasha
Old 01-09-2008
Stu R

stuffinbox is on a distinguished road
Thanks Sasha. Sounds sensible. I'll give it a go.

I've been looking into the wind data systems. I think by the time the wires have been run, they look pretty competitive w.r.t. replacing my Signet system. They certainly look a lot easier to install.

PS. Are the postings to these forums different to the Sailnet mailing lists? I didn't get either your posting or my posting at the email address I used to subscribe to the Newport mailing list?
Old 01-09-2008
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Welcome aboard, Stuffin
Old 01-11-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Stuart-

Sailnet.com is different than the list-server (newport owners mailing list). To post to the mailing list just send a reply-to from an incoming email and change the subject line.

As for the Garhauer sheaves; try giving Garhauer a call they might be able to ream the sheave ID a little larger or use a larger bushing on the size you need. Measure the pin carefully before you order.

The cap that retains the sheave pins -should- just be tap threaded into the mast; no nuts on the inside since there is no way to hold the nut while installing it. Unfortunately this leads to corrosion so they might be frozen and require use of a hammer wrench or drilling out and replacement with an oversize screw. Let me know if you need a hammer wrench I have one you could use. When you replace the screws/pins use Lanocote to prevent siezing in the future (same goes for the turnbuckles).

-Russ

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 01-11-2008 at 12:16 PM.