SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Newport (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/newport/)
-   -   Companionway Hatch (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/newport/45900-companionway-hatch.html)

drh1965 08-09-2008 09:02 PM

Companionway Hatch

Didn't someone recently replace the rotting wood on the companionway hatch with something else? Mine is rotting, seperating, and need to go. Any experience/advice would be appreciated?

Thanks!
Darrell
'87 N28 MKII

Drewboy 08-13-2008 12:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Darrell, here's what I did on our 83 Newport II. See attached picture (if my attachment worked!) Removed all the old wood insert. Remaining base and frame is fiberglass. Set in a new base with plastic wood to 1/16" below top surface. Cut and laid in a new wood laminate layer using waterproof Gorilla glue. Filled in remaining gap with fiberglass epoxy. Painted outside frame with marine enamel. Then I put 5-6 coats of marine varnish on. Loved the result.

Andy

drh1965 08-14-2008 11:45 AM

Thanks Andy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewboy (Post 353501)
Set in a new base with plastic wood to 1/16" below top surface.

Was this done because the original wood was thicker than the new laminate you were adding?

Quote:

Cut and laid in a new wood laminate layer using waterproof Gorilla glue.

What thickness laminant did you use?

Quote:

Filled in remaining gap with fiberglass epoxy.

What gap are you talking about here?

Quote:

Loved the result..

No doubt! Beautiful work!

chucklesR 08-14-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Darrell, here's what I did on our 83 Newport II. See attached picture (if my attachment worked!) Removed all the old wood insert. Remaining base and frame is fiberglass. Set in a new base with plastic wood to 1/16" below top surface. Cut and laid in a new wood laminate layer using waterproof Gorilla glue. Filled in remaining gap with fiberglass epoxy. Painted outside frame with marine enamel. Then I put 5-6 coats of marine varnish on. Loved the result.

Andy

Good thorough job, excellent results. I did the same thing on my first boat - a Grampian 26. Made the Hatch boards the same way then sliced them up into three on the table saw so I could store them easier (seal edges with epoxy of course.)

shebobah 08-14-2008 10:52 PM

that looks awesome ! Mine has some Jerry Rig fiber glass concoction. I think some one put an ac duct in the middle and then screwed some starboard on. Now I know what I can do with it.

Drewboy 08-15-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drh1965 (Post 354023)
Thanks Andy!

Was this done because the original wood was thicker than the new laminate you were adding?

What thickness laminant did you use?

What gap are you talking about here?

No doubt! Beautiful work!

I did this because of the damage and resulting uneveness of the underlying fiberglass after removal of the original laminate. I surmised that I would need a good level and even substrate base to properly secure the new laminate to.

The laminate was 3/32". That put it slightly higher than the surrounding frame and I just feathered the edges of it to have it meet the frame level.

There was a very slight gap between the outer edge of the laminate and the inner edge of the frame. That's what I filled. When I masked for painting of the frame I put the tape just inside of that gap and then effectively painted over it so it wouldn't show.

drh1965 08-15-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewboy (Post 354444)
I did this because of the damage and resulting uneveness of the underlying fiberglass after removal of the original laminate. I surmised that I would need a good level and even substrate base to properly secure the new laminate to.

The laminate was 3/32". That put it slightly higher than the surrounding frame and I just feathered the edges of it to have it meet the frame level.

There was a very slight gap between the outer edge of the laminate and the inner edge of the frame. That's what I filled. When I masked for painting of the frame I put the tape just inside of that gap and then effectively painted over it so it wouldn't show.

Thanks. I'm going to imitate you on this for sure :)

KeelHaulin 08-15-2008 04:14 PM

IIRC some people have modified their companionway hatch to have a lexan skylight instead of the wood trim. If you want more interior light you might consider doing that also.

Check the owner's website in the DIY section; It was listed under DIY #51-60. Page is not currently working so contact the webmaster maybe he can get it back online.