SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Newport 30 Toe rail corrison

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Gorey 
#1 ·
Has any body had any dealing with corrison on the black anodized toe rails on a Newport? I have about a dozen pin holes of various depths, most are the diameter of the lead in a #2 pencil

#2 ·
That's not bad enough to worry about. What happens is that the stainless fasteners make a galvanic couple with the aluminum rail; which causes the corrosion. Keep the boat well rinsed after sailing to minimize the ability for the galvanic corrosion to take place. At some point you will be looking at a toerail replacement job; but that's probably 10 years away (the rail would need to be severely corroded and/or the hull/deck joint leaking.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input---One of the guys on the dock suggested that I not leave stainless fasteners attached to the rail.
He owns a company that specializes in corrison control, unfortunatly he did not have any suggestions.

I have a feeling that their must be some type of coating or paste that could be pushed into the holes to slow down the rate of corrosion. Will keep looking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.