Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Newport
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2008

russ1302 is on a distinguished road
N27 Tiller Pilot. Which one works for you?

I'm looking to buy an auto pilot for my N27 MkI. I know the boat weighs about 6,000 lbs. The Raymarine st1000 is rated for 5,500 lbs. It seems like it's right on the edge of needing the st2000. What auto pilots are other people using in this boat? anyone using Sinrad?

Russ
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2008

jarod is on a distinguished road
hi there,

i have an ericson 27 and went ahead on the purchase of a simrad tp10 and it has been great so far. the only thing it doesnt have is the ability to talk to my gps, however, i believe the tp20 does. if you have any other questions let me know.

jarod allen
Old 01-28-2009

rebelsraft is on a distinguished road
I decided for the st2000 two seasons ago and I think this was a good decision. I own a 1979 Newport 27 (not sure what model, N27S?). While it finally allowed me to go sailing alone there are some things to consider. In choppy sea and strong winds the tiller tends to lift up and render the pilot useless. I strapped a bungee cord across it and tied it down with two hooks near the bottom of the cockpit. This requires some extra force for the pilot (--> st2000). Secondly, due to the geometry of the tiller and cockpit, the pilot requires some custom brackets/attachments as none of the standard/optional brackets seem to work. The tiller sits too low compared to the benches especially if you have the 3" seat cushions on top of them. The bracket for the tiller would have to be some 7" high at which point the force of the pilot puts a significant torque on the tiller rather pushing it straight. So far I mounted the pilot on the bench without a cushion, I think I have to tinker with it another season). Finally, in gusty wind situations I have not yet found the right setting for damping and gain (which have to be adjusted depending on the wind conditions) to keep the boat on course.
Old 01-29-2009
Newport Lover

Stenn is on a distinguished road
I'm using the Simrad TP22 on my 1983 Newport 27-S MKII....bought it for some extra strength vs. the weight of the boat, and especially for it's NMEAK 2000 capability. I cut off the SimNet connector, installed a field-installable Maretron male NMEA2k "micro" connector, and networked it to my Lowrance LMS-525c, and it works perfectly....I can set a way-point on the 525's chart, and the networked GPS and the LMS-525 control the TP22 just fine...I can go the length of the Chesapeake and never touch the tiller.

As for the "custom brackets" mentioned by RebelsRaft, I just hook the TP22 up normally, with the pin epoxied into the cockpit bench, and lay the full-length cockpit cushion right over the TP22...doesn't bother it a bit...obviously I don't sit right on it, but you can lay your legs across it and it won't both the autopilot at all.