Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Newport
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009
1959 Ackerman Newporter

eoffermann is on a distinguished road
Newport vs Newport

So I'm sailing a 1968 N20, and I'm trying to do a bit of research on the history of this model and other Newport vessels over the years.

It appears that Capital Yachts in Harbor City, California built the Newport from 1971 to 1996. My boat looks remarkably similar to the 1972 Newport 20 called "Hard Knots" that you'll find by googling... I can't post links or pictures 'til my post count is higher... as well as another boat called the Genesis which was built in 1973, also by Capitol Yachts, so while the formation of Capital Yachts is after the period of my boat's manufacture, I'm pretty certain it was the same design.

My boat seems to have originated on the east coast, and I've found indications that 1968 was the first year the Newport 20 was made... So would it have been built by Elgin or Lockley Newport during those first few years?

Thanks for any input someone might have. The information I've found online is scarce at best and conflicting at worst.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
If you have not found this site yet:

Newport, Neptune, Gulf sailboats built by Capital Yachts

Pretty much has everything related to Newports. The banner page does explain the origin of the Newport fleet which was Elgin; although the N-41 was first constructed by C&C as the "Redline 41" then the molds were sold to Lindsay Plastics who first produced a racer/cruiser version; then finally sold to Capital Yachts to be built as the "Newport" 41.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook