Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Newport
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009

elcap373 is on a distinguished road
N33 excessive pull to port under power?

I am looking at buying a Newport 33. When under power she seems to pull excessively to port. The broker says, "Don't worry about it, its normal. Due to prop wash." Which I could understand. However, I have found the sellers broker to be less than credible on several issues. As a result, if he told me the sky was blue and the sun was out, I'd check twice myself before believing him...

If I had to put a number on it - I would guess the pull would measure a constant 3 to 4+ lbs on the wheel - measured at its outer edge when running at about 2500 rpm, maybe about 6 kts.

The boat comes with a Navico WB5000 autopilot. However it does not appear to ever have been used. The belt is too big for the setup. But I wonder if it would work under power with that constant pull to port.

Anyone familiar with the range of expected pull to port on a N33 when running under power?

Rich McManus
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcap373 View Post
I am looking at buying a Newport 33. When under power she seems to pull excessively to port. The broker says, "Don't worry about it, its normal. Due to prop wash." Which I could understand. However, I have found the sellers broker to be less than credible on several issues. As a result, if he told me the sky was blue and the sun was out, I'd check twice myself before believing him...

If I had to put a number on it - I would guess the pull would measure a constant 3 to 4+ lbs on the wheel - measured at its outer edge when running at about 2500 rpm, maybe about 6 kts.

The boat comes with a Navico WB5000 autopilot. However it does not appear to ever have been used. The belt is too big for the setup. But I wonder if it would work under power with that constant pull to port.

Anyone familiar with the range of expected pull to port on a N33 when running under power?

Rich McManus
Nah the broker is being honest and you obviously have not much experience with sailboats in general as they always have preferred slant on how reverse works.. Under full power she'll go where you wanna - the backing out is a skill and one you'll learn quick regardless of the boat you buy... unlike power boats with twin engines - sailboats under reverse always favor one side or the other other - something you'll have to grasp in the long run. My 38 favors port but I back her out on a starboard angle all the time. You just have to get used to it.. or use an outboard ..

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-22-2009

Jody,

This pulls strongly port going FORWARD! Not in reverse! That's my concern. You let go the wheel and she swings sharply to port.

Rich
Old 06-22-2009
Stu R

stuffinbox is on a distinguished road
That often happens if the propeller is offset. The curved surface of the rudder behaves like a wing and generates lift, sucking it in the direction of the wash from the propeller. You can sometimes also feel this if the propeller is in the centerline -- as you turn the wheel, some rudder angles may generate more (horizontal) lift than others and pull strongly in one direction. In any case, its generally a good idea to keep a good hold on the wheel in any sailboat when under power for this reason.

Propeller are sometimes offset to reduce propwalk, but more frequently, because the interior layout worked out better with the engine off to one side.

Is the engine offset in the N33? (It is in my N44 which also pulls a little to one side).

- Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcap373 View Post
Jody,

This pulls strongly port going FORWARD! Not in reverse! That's my concern. You let go the wheel and she swings sharply to port.

Rich
Old 06-22-2009

Stu,

Thanks for your insight. I'll have to make some measurements to determine if the engine is offset.

Since my post I have discussed this with another N33 owner. Although he has a smaller engine, he thought I may have been running the engine at too high an rpm. At 2400 rpm the pull was excessive/extreme. I ran an efficiency test one day and found that she was most efficient around 1700 rpm. At 2400 rpm I was wasting diesel for little gain in speed. I'd have to look up the data, but she ran shy of 5 knots at 1700 rpm, and not much over 5 knots at 2400 rpm. The pull at 1700 rpm was not excessive - not really noticable unless you released the wheel.

Bottom line - I have backed off on the throttle, eliminated the pull issue, and saved some diesel.

Thanks again.

Rich