Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Newport
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011

Bateau25 is on a distinguished road
Red face Loose engine mount studs

I just posted this as a new Junior member.

I sail on the Hudson river in NY on a 1981 Newport 28 built by Capital Yacht powered by an inboard Universal 5411, which incidentally just died. I am now in the process of trying to pull it out for repair or replacement.

Already I have an issue which I hope someone could advise me on:
As I started to look at how to remove the motor from its mounts (flex mounts, 4 of them) I discovered all of the studs that attach the motor mounts to the fiberglass stringer would spin with their nuts as I loosened them. Any suggestions how I could take these out without damaging the studs or having to dig them out and damage the stringers in the process (and also save whatever skin I have on my knuckles!)? How were the studs installed in the first place? I will try to post pics the next time.

I should be grateful if anyone could share their knowledge or expertise on this...

Many thanks to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateau25 View Post
I just posted this as a new Junior member.

I sail on the Hudson river in NY on a 1981 Newport 28 built by Capital Yacht powered by an inboard Universal 5411, which incidentally just died. I am now in the process of trying to pull it out for repair or replacement.

Already I have an issue which I hope someone could advise me on:
As I started to look at how to remove the motor from its mounts (flex mounts, 4 of them) I discovered all of the studs that attach the motor mounts to the fiberglass stringer would spin with their nuts as I loosened them. Any suggestions how I could take these out without damaging the studs or having to dig them out and damage the stringers in the process (and also save whatever skin I have on my knuckles!)? How were the studs installed in the first place? I will try to post pics the next time.

I should be grateful if anyone could share their knowledge or expertise on this...

Many thanks to all!
Do the mounts look like the two on the left?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-16-2011

Hi Main Sail,

Yes, they look exactly like the two on the left, rust and all! How were they attached to the stringers?

Many thanks
Bateau25
Old 02-16-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateau25 View Post
Hi Main Sail,

Yes, they look exactly like the two on the left, rust and all! How were they attached to the stringers?

Many thanks
Bateau25
Are the two mounting studs into the stringer turning or is the single big engine bracket stud turning?

These Bushings Inc mounts often fail when the engine mounting stud breaks away from the rubber and spins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-16-2011

Maine Sail:
Its the two mounting studs into the stringers that are spinning and can't remove them - all 4 pairs! Can I cut them off so the mounts could be lifted (along with the engine)? But then later on how do I attach the new engine mounts that comes with the replacement motor?
The single big engine bracket studs on each flex mount seem to be okay and sturdy as i can easily loosen or tighten the big nuts above and below the engine mounting brackets.
many thanks
Jimmy (Bateau25)
Old 02-16-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"Its the two mounting studs into the stringers that are spinning and can't remove them"
And the stringers are wood or wood encased in fiberglass?

It could be the wood is badly rotted out, in which case you'd want to rebuild the stringers. Basically, cut them out, lay in new 2x4's or whatever, glass them over.

It could also just be that the bolts worked loose or the wood rotted just locally around them. In either of those cases, you should be able to drill a couple of 1/4" or so holes, clean out the area as best you can, and pour in epoxy to embed the bolts good as new.

Rubber part makers in general say that all rubber parts--including engine mounts--should be replaced every 5 years, as the rubber stiffens or breaks down. So new engine mounts are called for in any case.

Fortunately you're already planning to pull the engine, making the engine mounts a much easier job. (Looking on the brightside.<G>)
Old 02-16-2011

Thanks HelloSailor.
That's what I suspected too - rotting wood underneath the fiberglass stringers. I will get a better look once the engine is pulled. If indeed the wood is rotted, then no choice but to rebuilt the stringers. The replacement motor has the same exact footprint. Its just that if the studs could be removed completely it would simplify engine removal by sliding the motor out on its mounts over the stringer onto the cabin floor using a come along.

Oh well, life is beautiful, but never simple!
Happy sailing to all!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.