Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Newport
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
A useful tool when searching for leaks is the blue chalk dust you can get an most Lowe's or Home Depots - it's used to refill chalk lines.

Squirt some on the surface of 'whatever' - the leak's will create a track that is easy to follow to the source. A simple vacuum and wet cloth can clean it up.
Brilliant idea... just don't ever, ever, ever use red! Red chalk stains! It's banned from my jobs except for rough framing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Re: Leaks when it rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
...Another place to look for leaks are the cabin top handrails if you have them. After alot of searching on my boat, they proved to be a source of several leaks, and they will travel between the deck and the liner until they appear somewhere in the cabin.
Me too, I had a bad leak at the top of a portlight, except it actually came from the cabin top handrail and ran down above the liner till it hit the portlight, then ran inside the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
Brilliant idea... just don't ever, ever, ever use red! Red chalk stains! It's banned from my jobs except for rough framing.
Red chalk doesn't so much stain, it's actually is and is supposed to be permanent red ink. Very useful where it will be covered but you want the line to stand up to traffic, rain etc. For instance, laying out roofing.
Old 10-15-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road

I happened to catch part of the TV show How It's Made ? the other day. They were showing a company that builds RV trailers. One of the last steps in the build process was where they brought this blower inside the trailer, and connected the intake to the roof vent. Then they went outside and played a stream of water over all the joints, windows and roof penetrations looking for leaks. So clearly this method can work well. I'll bet some of the boat builders do it too.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 07-20-2013

Weg3 is on a distinguished road

This isn't a timely post, but I hope it's helpful: I've had an '87 Newport 28 for about 15 years and have had to have the chain plates rebedded a number of times, so plan on doing that fairly regularly. I held off rebedding my starboard side and was forced to replace the interior where the plate was fastened! Not inexpensive, so a word to the wise. My port lights leak, too, and I need to have them rebedded or replaced. Zincs I replace annually.