SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: What sort of valve is this? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
07-26-2013 10:36 AM
Re: What sort of valve is this?

I can't imagine the surveyor tried to open a drain/service nut while the boat was in the water. Anyway, I emailed the insurance broker to advise that the valve is not seized and is functioning normally so I guess I will see what they say.
07-26-2013 07:49 AM
Re: What sort of valve is this?

Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
. . .because of course a surveyor couldn't be wrong about anything could they?
Maybe surveyor never saw one before & tried to 'turn' the valve, get him back for a live demonstration so he can advise insurer he made a mistake. Like you did, he could have asked someone.
07-26-2013 03:29 AM
Re: What sort of valve is this?

Not sure of the right technical term here, but does the drainage/service nut open easily ? Or is that what your surveyor meant seized ?
07-26-2013 12:59 AM
Re: What sort of valve is this?

Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
My galley sink has this:

Ignoring the general ugliness of it, what kind of valve is it? The handle only moves fore/aft through about 80 degrees, but when I had her out on the hard, the valve seemed to function just fine. Surveyor notes mentioned that it was a gate valve and it was seized, I don't think it's a gate and it's definitely not seized.
Gate. We had a couple of them on our C&C also . We replaced with flanged ball valves eventually.

07-26-2013 12:28 AM
Re: What sort of valve is this?

Products - W&O - Marine Supplier of Pipes, Valves, and Fittings there is a picture of the same valve near the bottom of the page. they are still used today
07-26-2013 12:18 AM
Re: What sort of valve is this?

I would rather see a flanged seacock but it sounds like your valve is working. Just tell the insurance people it isn't frozen now.
07-26-2013 12:07 AM
Dog Ship
Re: What sort of valve is this?

Nice to see the double hose clamps on there Paul.
Surveyor's like that sh@t. Haha
07-25-2013 11:35 PM
Re: What sort of valve is this?

The handle operates smoothly, and comes to a "stop" at each end as opposed to just getting stiffer, which would suggest it is operating as designed. When it's closed, water doesn't pass through it. When it's open, water passes through it (I tested it when she was hauled out). Again that would suggest to me it is operating as designed.

I just wonder why the surveyor stated "the gate valve on the sink is seized and should be replaced", and thus of course the insurance company are now all "have you replaced the seized gate valve on the galley sink" because of course a surveyor couldn't be wrong about anything could they?
07-25-2013 11:32 PM
Re: What sort of valve is this?

Here is a drawing that shows how it works.
07-25-2013 11:26 PM
Re: What sort of valve is this?

If it is your galley sink drain hull valve and the sink drains and it is is seized open and that gives a bit more urgency to fixing it.

Also if there is a chance it is seized obviously you don't want to pull the hose (or pull the side plug on the valve) to look at its inner workings.

If you aren't going to be on the hard for a while and it is convenient to plug the hull connection from outboard in order to remove the hose or side plug to have a look you might want to do that.

The side plug is probably there to allow cleaning and servicing.

If it is a gate valve and is designed to be operated by a quarter turn throw of the handle then either it doesn't open very far or there may be a gear inside the valve body to amplify the throw. And if it's not designed for a quarter turn throw it is likely broken and seized.

I'd be interested in knowing what you find out.

Good luck.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome