SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: Registering vs Documenting in Michigan Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
05-02-2007 02:01 PM
I think you have to register in Michigan


I'm in Michigan also and I believe that any boat over 19 feet has to be titled and registered in Michigan (and sales tax paid) regardless of whether the vessel is documented or not.

Michigan watercraft registration requirements are located here:

SOS - Watercraft

05-01-2007 06:28 PM
sailingdog Ummm.. your best bet is to call the USCG and ask them exactly what fees you need to pay. If the fees aren't paid properly, it can tie up your paperwork for a good long while. Saw a friend miss one of the $8.00 fees and took three months to straighten it out. That's one reason the documentation services are sometimes worth the extra money.
05-01-2007 05:49 PM
eherlihy There is a GREAT summation of several sources (Sailnet included) on this topic here: Costs Of Buying And Cruising On A Boat. The topic is even disected into the tax ramifications for several states.

In a nutshell: US Coast Guard FAQ about documenting a vessel. Costs about $85.

USCG table of fees.

05-01-2007 05:26 PM
BarryL As previously mentioned, if the the boat is currently documented, it is very simple to change the documentation to you.

The forms are available on the Coast Guard web site. You will need the bill of sale, and it must be notarized.

The documentation fee is about $100. Note that if you want to change the name of the boat you should do that at the same time you change the documentation from the old owner to you. Otherwise you will have to spend another $100 to change the name.

05-01-2007 05:02 PM
tommyt Michigan is a sales tax state. No property tax on boats. Of course, the state is just about broke and getting worse. The gov wants to raise taxes to remedy things, not do the hard thing and control costs.
05-01-2007 04:45 PM
Currently Documented

The big issue regarding documentation is whether the boat has been documented by the prior owner. If the boat IS documented, transferring the documentation to your name is not a big issue, can you can have a professional do it for $2-300, or I guess you can do it yourself..

If the boat is not presently documented, the process is more difficult, and even most difficult if the boat was built outside theUSA or if the builder is out of business. Here's a prior thread..

PS= remember that visiting Canada is leaving the USA.
05-01-2007 04:02 PM
TrueBlue With some States, including RI, boats are exempt from property and sales tax. When adopted in the early '90s, this was a huge boost for Rhode Island's maritime industries.
05-01-2007 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by jackytdunaway
What is the tax imapct. Your state will charge prperty tax if it is registered. Will they charge you property tax if it just documented and not registered
You will have to pay property or excise tax on it regardless of whether it is USCG documented or just state-registered.
05-01-2007 03:40 PM
Freesail99 Some states if your boat is documented, you still must have numbers on the side of your dinkny is it has a motor on it.
05-01-2007 03:31 PM
jackytdunaway What is the tax imapct. Your state will charge prperty tax if it is registered. Will they charge you property tax if it just documented and not registered
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome