|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|05-09-2007 11:03 PM|
|Freesail99||The fog will be worst tomorrow and Friday, be careful.|
|05-09-2007 10:59 PM|
|sailingdog||Thanks for the update Labatt. Have a good trip up to NYC tomorrow. Keep us posted.|
|05-09-2007 10:53 PM|
|labatt||Because of fog (I'll put in another post) we ducked into Cape May. Those power lines were pretty close in Deleware City (58 ft mast) and we were pulled in close to them. We ended up pulling the boat back a few slips and then pivoting it around the bow and flooring it. Tomorrow we're going to go offshore and head up to NYC - Yonkers actually.|
|05-09-2007 12:01 PM|
Delaware City and offshore NJ
Watch out for overhead powerlines at Delaware City Marina. We've got ~60 mast and made it but it was VERY nerve wracking and I don't remember the tide. I recall asking for the clearance and them just being told not to worry about it. Everything indeed turned out fine.
If you can post information on your offshore passage off NJ I'd be interested. We plan on making that trip sometime, curious what kind of conditions you faced- wind and waves. Also what kind of time you were able to make and whether you sailed the whole way or motor sailed. How was the shipping traffic approaching New York harbour?
Thanks for any info!
|05-09-2007 11:09 AM|
WX looks pretty good to me for a run up the Jersey coast. Just some long-period 4-6' swells today. Mostly southerly winds, some Easterly and later Westerlies, and light to moderate through Fri. Then, becoming Northerly Friday nite (by which time it would be good to be in NY!).
Latest coastal forecasts here:
U.S. Coastal Waters Forecasts by Zone - East - Philadelphia/Mt. Holly, PA/NJ
Fair winds and dry bilges, Labatt! We hope to be following your track up the NJ coast in about a month.
|05-08-2007 10:00 PM|
|sailingdog||Fair Winds Labatt...|
|05-08-2007 08:54 PM|
|labatt||Tomorrow we're planning on going south from here, around Cape May, and then, depending on the weather, we may continue offshore for an overnight sail (and the next day too) north to New York City. From there we'll be going to Yonkers, NY for a few hours, and then we'll be heading north to Albany to get the mast off in preparation for transit to Lake Champlain.|
|05-08-2007 07:09 PM|
|sailingdog||Thanks for the update and confirmation... Where are you headed to?|
|05-08-2007 06:17 PM|
I can confirm the water depth is 7' at the entrance and goes a few more feet deeper as you progress. It's going to be a very tight turn tomorrow to get out of here. They have you tie up parallel to shore. It's probably 60 feet across MAX (if not less) so I'm glad I had the single lever engine control put on!!
Just a note for Tuesday's in this sleepy town... most places are closed - the one restaurant (Crabby Dick's) and the ice cream parlor. There is a convenience store. Dockage is very expensive - $2/foot, but they are pretty nice people. They don't pay much attention to the VHF and are somewhat lackadaisical about answering the phone
|05-08-2007 11:28 AM|
PS to the last reply
As an afterthought, if the current is against you when entering the C&D, stop at Chesapeake City, then continue through when the current changes. In my opinion, this is a much better stop than Delaware City.
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|