SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: Interior Cabin Walls Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
10-03-2007 10:35 PM
Freesail99 I did look at cork tiles at one time. They are used in kitchens and baths.
10-03-2007 10:32 PM
sailingdog UGH.. Ceramic tile must add an awful lot of weight... how is it fastened to the fiberglass??
10-03-2007 09:23 PM
bikeerchic While we're on the subject...

I have a rather challenging issue with my "ceilings" as well. The PO covered the fiberglass hull with ceramic tile. It's 12"x12" sheets of 1 inch tiles. Needless to say, keeping the grout in good order is challenging. The workmanship in the v-berth and salon is pretty good but the aft cabin is horrendous. We would like to remove it and use some type of wood strips as others have described here. However, the challenge is how to tackle this job. Anyone have any ideas? Has anybody seen this before? It was new to us.
10-01-2007 04:27 PM
FullandBy hmmm interesting. So on a FG boat with no framework per se, such as ribs the ceiling terminology may not apply as it covers the framework not the inner/outer hull surface. They can't be called interior bulkheads because they don't partition anything. I agree that saying 'walls' does seem inappropriate. Maybe inner hull covering or perhaps the 'sides' to go along with the 'overhead' terminology.

09-30-2007 08:56 PM
JohnRPollard No, No, FullandBy, I think you have it wrong. They were not trying to beat you into the ground.

Rather, what the last few posts seem to be saying is that my earlier usage of "ceilings" is strictly speaking incorrect. The new definitions proferred seem to suggest that it is only the MATERIAL covering this area of the cabin that is known as "ceilings". So in our boat we have teak ceilings, but in your boat you have...not sure what to call it, maybe "carpet ceilings".

But that leaves the question of how to refer to this area of the cabin. All our boats have had "ceilings", so that is the terminolgy we've always used for that area. And it may be that with the advent of fibreglass hulls, that is the convention regardless of whether it is covered with wood trim (maybe that is what Jeff H was suggesting?). In any case, I still don't think we should call them "walls".

This is an interesting distinction that is being drawn, so I've learned something tonight. Thank you to those posters who called it to our attention.
09-30-2007 08:29 PM
FullandBy Ok ok I'm sorry,

I will never say 'interior cabin walls' again. I will write this out one hundred times. Is it possible to change the title of the thread? I feel so ashamed ....

09-30-2007 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by gc1111 View Post
I am just catching up on this thread. About the confusion over "ceiling", check out
I don't know how authoritative this is, but their Nautical definition is:
"The planking applied to the interior framework of a ship"
In the nautical archeology course that I took a couple of years ago through the NAS, that was also the definition used.
09-30-2007 05:40 PM
Jeff_H On a boat, ceilings are the planking that you see on the interior of the hull. The underside if of the deck is called the overhead. "Interior cabin walls" is a lubberly way of saying the interior bulkheads and perhaps if lubberly enough might also include the ceilings.

09-30-2007 04:01 PM
gc1111 I am just catching up on this thread. About the confusion over "ceiling", check out
I don't know how authoritative this is, but their Nautical definition is:
"The planking applied to the interior framework of a ship"
09-30-2007 11:48 AM
FullandBy John,

Nice ceiling. I ditto the exclamation on the ports - lovely.


I'm all teak everywhere as well and although it is dark there is enough light in my boat to compensate. I think what you have for planking in your picture is what I will be doing - thinner planks, easier to mold and work with.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome