SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: It was a sporty sail today... Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
07-28-2008 08:13 PM
RickQuann Nice pics Mike
07-27-2008 09:46 PM
merlin2375 good times
07-27-2008 07:53 PM
cristamd Yeah.... quality weather forecasting in Buffalo this summer, eh? We were hoping to take our "new" boat out for our maiden voyage, but decided 20-25 knots wasn't the best idea for a new to us centerboard boat (moving up from a Sunfish). Ah well, we had a nice lunch at the Palmwoods at Crystal Beach instead.

Great pictures, thanks for posting -- I wanted to take a few from the north side of the lake but my camera batteries were dead.
07-27-2008 03:31 PM
johnshasteen Every sail is an adventure!!!!
07-27-2008 02:57 PM
It was a sporty sail today...

The forecast was for 10-15kt winds, perfect right? When we got to the marina they were about 12kts, so I figured main and big genny, we got out there and hoisted the main and was about to unfurl the genny but decided against it when it started gusting, so we just left the main up. And the wind got stronger and stronger until 2 hours later I decided to either reef or head back in since I was passing the marina, and we just had the leeward rail under (really hard on a boat with as high a freeboard as ours) we decided to head back in because I didn't want to try and dock if the winds were any higher. Also I think reefing would just make us slow, it's a really DEEP reef in our main, we should have reefed at the beginning, put away the genny, and flew the working jib. We would have if the forecast was right, but it wasn't, so we didn't at this point they were 20kts with 25kt gusts. Lots of fun though, lots of boats out, most under just genny or main, a few bigger boats with both...

Current conditions, we were out between 12 and 2...
NDBC - Station BUFN6

Little tiny boat, reefed main, notice the windmill's blades bending backward...

Big boat (pearson Flyer), fancy silver sails, rail touching...

When we were heading back in, whitecaps INside the breakwall...

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome