|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|01-02-2009 01:58 PM|
Great to read your post and blog and glad you got in safely. A heads up on the Tuna if you didn't know about it. You need to get one of these NMFS Permit Shop if your fishing. If your within 3 miles of the coast, you may be required to get the State fishing license for where the fish was caught and/or your port destination. Also it would be a good idea to study up on the different type of Tuna identification. For example Bluefin Tuna has a strict size limit and creel limit verses yellowfin , longfin, bigeye or other Tuna species you can catch. A local charter boat captain or mate would be happy to help you.
Fresh fish like Tuna and Dolphin fish are a real treat and well worth the hassle and cost of the proper permits. The fines for no permit is severe.
|12-31-2008 10:04 AM|
|camaraderie||Chris...good decision! Glad you are in safe and sound as I know that weather was not predicted when you left! Rest up.|
|12-31-2008 09:07 AM|
Good to hear from you... get some sleep. Happy New Year Chriss.
|12-31-2008 09:03 AM|
Well as you saw, we're safely at a marina in Southport. Last night, well, completely sucked! Pelican did great, but we saw sustained wind of 32.5 with gusts to 37. We turned in because we were seeing waves over 10 feet - we'd actually estimate them at 12 feet. They were well over the top of our bimini when we were in the troughs. When we turned, we were surfing down the front and backsides of waves at 7.5kts. Everything was fine until just a bit after getting through Frying Pan Shoals, when the wind quickly started to freshen and the waves gradually picked up. The inside of Pelican looks like a washing machine, and I'm glad our night protocol is to be jacked in. I was really enjoying the first part of the sail, especially when the wind was 12-15kts, but when it picked up to 25 consistently I called for my wife to come up and join me. I woke up at 6am yesterday to leave, and I still haven't gone to sleep yet - I still have a ton of adrenaline running through my veins. The highlight of the trip, however, were the two tuna we caught using our handline yesterday afternoon.
The plan is to spend the night here, and then look to see if we can head to Charleston tomorrow. I'll post more about our trip after I get some sleep!
|12-31-2008 08:45 AM|
|sailingdog||That's starting to get nasty... never a good thing when the wave period is shorter than the wave height...|
|12-31-2008 08:10 AM|
Looks like they are safely in Southport and have just pulled into a local marina.
The WX has become quite sporty outside. Fying Pan Shoals buoy is reporting -
Good job Labatt. Check your local weather there, the NC forecasters are calling for a major temp. drop statewide tonight with wind chills 2 hrs NW of you down in the teens overnight.
Thanks again for sharing your journey with us.
Best Regards, John
|12-31-2008 04:24 AM|
Not one I'd want to enter in the dark really, but it was dredged last winter and except for the channel to the ICW being long and winding, it's not bad.
One things for sure though, if they stay inside to Charleston, they'll see the best and the worst of the ICW.
|12-31-2008 02:35 AM|
|camaraderie||Last update...they have done a U turn and are apparently headed in to Southport. Good decision. Should be in around daybreak.|
|12-31-2008 01:31 AM|
|camaraderie||Kinda dicey in bad weather though no?|
|12-31-2008 01:11 AM|
|PBzeer||Little River was in good shape when I went out it this past spring.|
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|