|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|04-01-2009 11:59 PM|
|labatt||I posted a bunch of stuff on our blog, but it was a wonderful passage - 9-12kts of wind, 35 degrees apparent off our nose, 1-2ft waves, partly cloudy skies. We were able to sail almost the whole way over, which is a real change of pace from the rest of the passages this season. We left Bimini at around 10am and arrived at Nassau (after slowing ourselves down a bit to make sure that we didn't arrive at the marina before they opened) at around 9am.|
|03-31-2009 08:41 PM|
|sailingdog||Thanks for the update.|
|03-31-2009 05:38 PM|
|mccary||It seems that Chris and his family made it safe through the passage. His SPOT plotted the course the entire way.|
|03-30-2009 10:39 AM|
|imagine2frolic||That sounds like a great sail to Nassau! I always listen to Chris. He is very accurrate, and has actually taken me between 2 systems for a lovely sail home from Bimini to the St. Johns River. It wasn't a personalized report. Just what he gives out daily.......i2f|
|03-29-2009 12:22 PM|
|labatt||As of yesterday, at least, the weather, according to Chris Parker, was forecast to be from the North at 10-15 or under, waves of under 3 feet. Hopefully things haven't changed! Things are supposed to pick up by Wednesday, but hopefully we'll be snug in Nassau by then. Thanks for your help!|
|03-29-2009 12:05 PM|
NW Channel Light
Your route looks good, the weather doesn't look like it's going to co-operate much. When you can get out, leave and just plug away at it, incidently, NW Channel light does show up good on most small radars. Don't be confused if you get two "hits", one will be the steel platform, and the other will be the buoy close (withing 50'). Still recomend doing it in daylight. Fair winds...
|03-28-2009 11:39 PM|
Great video and blog. Looking forward to reading more about your adventures in paradise. The folks bouncing around in your video look like folks who have a schedule to meet.
Your current experience with weather and how it can affect travel schedules is a good reminder that Mother Nature rules supreme and that we are always subject to her will. "Hurry up and wait" pretty much describes cruising in the Bahamas this time of year.
As you've been stuck in South Bimini for awhile, I bet you've walked over to the South Bimini Yacht Club for a meal and a couple Kaliks. Is Percy still running the place and is the beer still ice cold?
I spent a fair amount of time there a few years ago and did some scuba diving with them off Bimini and Chub Cay, when they operated a shop there.
Anyway, wait for the right weather and have a safe crossing.
|03-28-2009 06:59 PM|
|labatt||I just posted some video on our blog of the wind/wave action here... We can't even safely get out of the marina here - breaking waves all across the channel until you're about a mile off. Fun fun!|
|03-28-2009 04:23 PM|
Just a side note about getting stuck in Bimini.
If you want to get out of Bimini and enjoy a quiet anchorage while you wait to cross the Banks, try anchoring in the bay between North and South Cat Cays. I was able to snorkel for lobster and conch and enjoy some great beach combing on S. Cat while the wind howled out of the E-NE. I had the anchorage to myself.
Have a safe crossing!
|03-28-2009 03:54 PM|
Slooptattoo - if you have charting software handy, here are my waypoints across the banks... They are proven points, but I get what you are saying about needing to pass close to the north of the light. That's been my primary concern about running at night - making sure we're in the right spot. BTW - I'm showing moonset at 23:55 with 19% showing - won't be much of anything to speak of.
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|