SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: registration numbers are ugly, do I really need them? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
04-16-2009 10:45 PM
hellosailor Redstripe, if you don't CHECK WITH THE STATES you are going to wind up paying a lot of money or losing your boat to a tax seizure. Simple enough?

The laws are different in eveyr state. In some states you can keep the boat "in the state" while in others it is "in the navigable waters of the state" for a period of "ninety consecutive days" or "30 days" or "no more than 185 days" in one year, and then it has to be registered AS A MOTOR VEHICLE or AS A BOAT or EXEMPTED AS AN ANTIQUE or NOT REGISTERED IF THERES NO ENGINE.

Every one of those variations applies in different states and that's just the beginning. Either visit the state web sites or call their boating authorities and find out the laws. "Some guy on the internet told me" isn't going to scare the tax men away or get you forgiven for not paying their tithe.
04-16-2009 08:05 PM
Quickstep192 I have a plastic panel that's big enough to hold the numbers and the registration sticker. I "tastefully" wire tied it to my bow pulpit.

I bought the plates at West Marine; they're designed for inflatables-looks like this:

04-16-2009 07:27 PM
k1vsk Although you will probably receive the correct answer here (regarding state requirements), why not simply ask the appropriate state or read it on their web site? At least you have a better chance of not getting a guess for an answer. I'm not familiar with Ma statute, however, most states, if not all, which require tax could care less if you have the boat documented- they want their money regardless. Again, check with them - an internet chat forum isn't the best basis by which you can ensure compliance.
04-16-2009 07:15 PM
sailingdog Yes, the guy at the bow is very ugly, and his mother dresses him funny.

Oh, that you?? Damn, did I actually type that...
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
I don't really pay much attention, just another requirement unless you go ducumented.

Do you consider these ugly?
I don't. (Best pic I could find right now.)
Yes, if you're in the state for over 90 days... :

Originally Posted by redstripesailor View Post
If I document it with the Coast Guard do I still have to pay tax in MA just for having her there?
04-16-2009 06:36 PM
redstripesailor If I document it with the Coast Guard do I still have to pay tax in MA just for having her there?
04-16-2009 06:32 PM
sailortjk1 I don't really pay much attention, just another requirement unless you go ducumented.

Do you consider these ugly?
I don't. (Best pic I could find right now.)
04-16-2009 06:10 PM
sailingdog Apparently, in New Jersey, you need the ugly numbers too... But in NC and Mass... no state reg numbers.

Originally Posted by AE28 View Post
I believe your boat is large enough to be documented. You can get complete details on the process from the US Coast Guard's website.
A documented boat registered in New York State does not have to display the "ugly numbers", but must have the registration gizmo properly affixed to the hull, both sides.
As always, check with your local...........
Have fun!!!


IIRC, if you keep the boat the boat in Mass for the summer, you'll have to pay sales tax and excise tax on it, if it is here for over 90 days.
04-16-2009 05:15 PM
sailortjk1 I can't find a photo, but not all Registration Numbers are ugly (my opinion).
There are size and color requirements that you have to adhere to and they must be easily readable from a distance. You can have them made by a vinyl graphics dealer and they are not that expensive.
04-16-2009 05:06 PM
redstripesailor Thanks guys. It looks like I'm going to have to register or document her. So much for the no engine card.... It appears as though documenting with the USCG is the way to go because I don't need no stinkin' letters!
04-16-2009 05:02 PM
bubb2 Red, Try this!
North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome