SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: Coast Guard Documentation? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
10-04-2012 09:44 AM
Re: Coast Guard Documentation?

There are many countries that do not accept US state documentation. The French and the French islands are notorious for giving boats that are not carrying the correct papers a hard time with substantial fines.

Make it easier for yourself when going foreign and get the CG docs.
10-04-2012 09:38 AM
Re: Coast Guard Documentation?

Originally Posted by nmejicano View Post
I am buying a boat in Georgia and bringing it back to Florida where I live and where I will register the boat as a commercial vessel. My documenting agent is telling me that she will "delete" the boat from the Coat Guard and it will cost me an additional $125.00. Can someone enlighten me?
I don't understand the need to drop your boat from documentation. I don't have experience with changing the vessels purpose in documentation, but it seems like it would be pretty straightforward to go from "recreational" to "commercial". Also, if you are carrying a note on the boat, the bank will typically require documentation (since it acts as a title). Documentation will also make it a bit easier to sell the boat later, for the same reason. Finally, if you plan on taking the boat to a foreign country, documentation is typically required.

I would ask your agent why she wants to drop your boat from documentation and see if there is an option to simply change the vessels purpose. If she says no, then I would contact NVDC myself, or better yet, just contact NVDC and do the paperwork and save yourself some money.
10-04-2012 01:52 AM
Re: Coast Guard Documentation?

grommet, I purchased a 1981 43' cutter that had been USCG documented in the past, but her documentation had not been kept current through the last several owners. I found the USCG NVDC (National Vessel Documentation Center) very willing to work with me to accomplish the necessary paper trail to bring the Abstract of Title (Yes, the USCG maintains such a document since manufacture, just like real estate) current to my ownership. This involved waivers on a number of the Bills of Sale which did not contain all of the requisite information. Be sure to use the USCG Bill of Sale, which can be downloaded from their website.
10-03-2012 11:18 PM
Re: Coast Guard Documentation?

I am buying a boat in Georgia and bringing it back to Florida where I live and where I will register the boat as a commercial vessel. My documenting agent is telling me that she will "delete" the boat from the Coat Guard and it will cost me an additional $125.00. Can someone enlighten me?
07-25-2005 11:18 AM
Coast Guard Documentation?

You got to pay the tax in almost all states that require taxes or fees to register. CG documentation is not a replacement for that.
07-22-2005 08:58 AM
Coast Guard Documentation?

If you registered a boat with the CG instead
of the state does this mean you would not
pay property taxes every year??
06-06-2005 03:47 AM
Coast Guard Documentation?

One does not need "documentation" to go to Europe. Your vessel can be "state" registered but make sure your registration is current and have registration on board at all times. We were only asked one time in 16 years for our boat papers and that was in Belgium. Smooth sailing.
02-01-2005 01:22 PM
Coast Guard Documentation?

Absolutely you can do it yourself, I had last boat done by service as lender insisted. They did not do a perfect job and I found dealing with the CG Doc center by phone very easy.
01-30-2005 09:20 AM
Coast Guard Documentation?


Not tricky at all - I just changed hail port for my boat requiring two forms and a check for the cost. It takes a while (months) but no more time than the "service" that will charge $500 for the transfer. Many lenders will insist that you use a service - not transfer on your own. If they do not force you to use a service, do it yourself. The forms can be downloaded from the USCG site and contain adequate explanation.
01-29-2005 09:17 PM
Coast Guard Documentation?

Thanks all for your great advice. Although I don''t plan to go "foreign" yet (need to improve sailing skills first), it is nice to know that CG Documentation will make traveling easier. The seller has strongly recommended hiring an expediter to facilitate the title transfer and documentation process. Yes perhaps an unnecessary expense but I have heard that dealing with the CG can be tricky.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome