SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: documentation Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
05-27-2005 05:28 AM


All the information you need is here:

Then select ''boats''. There is additional information in a section titled ''information about boat registration requirements''.

I have registered two boats in NY in the last two years. Neither was coast guard documented.

05-26-2005 01:08 PM

California also does not require state registration of a documented vessel, one or the other, not both. If a tender is motorized it must be registered with the state and is not covered by the documentation of the "mother ship".
05-25-2005 03:04 PM

In Hawaii only Coast guard documentative is necessary for our 48 ft Celestial, (KoOlina, Hawaii is our home port) we are both Hawaii state residents-I notice most smaller boats have a state registration - There is no yearly "boat tax" for us- Our tender is new and we have been told that we need to label it "T/T Orion" or it would need to have a state licience...
Obviously all of this differs from state to state and country to country-
Pat on ORION
05-25-2005 08:35 AM

No State that I know of "waives" registration for CG Documentation. Someone in NY is "confused." (Surprise). CG Documentation is an option, primarily utilized to record mortgages, liens and ownership and required in some foreign jurisdictions for entry. Registration is mandatory in every state based on that state''s "residency" requirement - keeping it part of year in one state and part in the other. SOME moron states are now looking for DUAL registration of certain vehicles such as Maine/NH''s idiot legislatures wanting snowmobiles registered in BOTH ******* states along the common border and enforcing it like nazi storm troopers. Boats will be next. God, I love living in the Caribbean. Weather''s better, too.
05-25-2005 07:25 AM

In the US, most States require motorized vessels to be registered, whether Coast Guard Documented or not. I believe some States waive registration if a boat is documented with the USCG (non-motorized or commercial). However, no state requires documenting a vessel with the Coast Guard . . . purely an owner option. My boat is CG Documented, (it is motorized and non-commercial) but the State of RI requires registration as well.

Call the NY Dept of Boat Registration to find out your requirements.
05-25-2005 07:02 AM

Can a boat be registered with a state and the Coast Guard? I am being told that New York will not register a boat unless the Coast Guard "releases the documentation" is this so??

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome