|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|08-28-2009 10:50 AM|
|tweitz||Danny seems pretty ill defined and has not yet strengthened. More importantly, although west of the eye of a storm is always lower wind than east, in this case the disparity seems to be enormous. So if the storm continues on its current track, passing east of Montauk, the western sound should not get excessively strong winds. It will get lots of rain and there is enough fetch that it could be pretty rough. Certainly small craft advisories. It seems unlikely to be either a dangerous sail or a comfortable one. As always, it depends on your crew, your boat and your tastes and judgment.|
|08-28-2009 07:41 AM|
Went to Montauk in July and arrived w some pretty strong winds and 6 foot seas...after that trip I rigged reefing lines and now 'always' have a small storm jib on board.
|08-27-2009 07:17 PM|
Thanks for the great links and advice. I planned to stay on the inside, so the direct Atlantic exposure would have been minimal.
Danny does not appear to be a huge worry to me anymore, but, the general forecast has deteriorated from likely a couple hours rain and t-storms each day to rain likely for most of the weekend. ;-(
I guess we'll wait it out and see if we can pull a day trip out of it. (Maybe labor day weekend will be alright... )
|08-27-2009 06:45 PM|
Here's a brief Forecast Video from Sailing Weather Service | Free Data Portal highlighting DANNY...
Sailing Weather Service | Weekend Sailing Weather Outlook
|08-27-2009 06:37 PM|
Here's a couple windspeed snaps I found at Sailing Weather Service | Free Data Portal of DANNY nearing Cape Cod and landfall on Nova Scotia...
|08-27-2009 06:37 PM|
|TheSamuelson||Looks like DANNY may graze the Cape and Islands this weekend, but I agree with most that he may not have hurricane-force at that point.|
|08-27-2009 05:41 PM|
Well, I'm driving 3.5 hours to Deltaville VA this saturday to tune up on a race boat for ARW next weekend. Our one rule, Don't blow the brand new kite before the race!
We hit the water at 1100, shoot me a pm w/ your phone # and I'll let ya know what the weather looks like from the south. Not sure if it'll help any though.
|08-27-2009 05:26 PM|
While I would largely agree about the media hype but if it were up to me I would probably cancel, sad to say since Smackdaddy called me a 'real' sailor. The current NOAA forecast for the area is for rain starting Friday through Sunday. I am sure you have foul weather gear but do you really want to spend a couple of days wearing it?
I think it unlikely that Danny boy will hit here as a hurricane but that does not rule out a persistent easterly flow for several days from a tropical storm. The last pest of a weather system that did this was Ernesto which resulted in over 40 knot winds from the east for about 36 hours. This kind of persistent wind tends to build up the water level in the western sound such that there may be no real low tide which could make getting up the East River doubtful or at least a hell of a ride on the way back down.
I would prefer a more benign forecast for a trip like the one you are planning.
That is just me though.
Let us know how it goes for you.
|08-27-2009 04:54 PM|
Originally Posted by edguy3 View Post
|08-27-2009 04:04 PM|
|zeehag||check stormpulse and weather passage.com and sailflow for your info and watch like a hawk---if you sail well, then go for it--if you are nervous, act accordingly---but stay out of dannys way--be safe!!!!!!|
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|