SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: Looking for vang attachment hardware Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
06-13-2010 04:42 AM
tap Take a look at Other Standing Rigging hardware
Sounds like the T bar running back is what you want.
06-12-2010 09:04 PM
willyhog57 You might need to bite the bullet and take the boom to a local machine shop. They can fabricate a stainless eye-bolt with the "nail-head" male end to fit the boom receiver device. Should be less than $50.
05-18-2010 07:37 PM
sailor50 Try TacKle Shack in Florida, Don's Salvage too - or Minnie's in Newport, CA the part is old school technology so you have a lot of new options to consider.

05-18-2010 07:29 PM
kwaltersmi It was never a roller-reefing boom to my knowledge. Nor is there any evidence of such a set-up, except the key fitting (subject of this thread).

It looks like the t ball parts that West carries are all swage fittings. I'm really hoping to find a piece that looks like an eye-bolt with the t ball fitting (nail head) instead of the threads, if such a thing exists. Then I could simple fit it to the slot and attach the snap shackle from my vang.
05-18-2010 05:03 PM
75R20 YUP !

S/V Mariah
05-18-2010 05:02 PM
Faster Exactly what we had on a former boat.. the top block for the vang had that 'nail head' fitting that slotted into that keyhole.. as long as the vang had some tension it stayed put.

Is this an originally roller-reefing boom set up?
05-18-2010 04:44 PM
kwaltersmi Thanks for the tip 75R20!

FYI - Here's a picture of what I'm referring to:

05-18-2010 09:00 AM
75R20 Depending on the size of your boat/boom, the key slot that you describe is made for a rigging fitting that is usually used on the upper end of a mast,on a shroud/stay. Check with a rigger/sailboat supply for a "T slot fitting " or "T ball" used in a mast. WM lists 3 different styles and several sizes.
Best of luck
S/V Mariah
05-18-2010 08:01 AM
kwaltersmi After contacting Ronstan and Harken, it looks like the part I may need is called a "vang key". But the funny thing is that they seem to be made almost exclusively for Lasers, so it may not be stout enough for my application. I'll post a picture later today...
05-07-2010 09:18 AM
Faster One of our former boats had this same fitting - it was a keyhole slot for the vang, the tackle for which was connected via a "nail-head" type of stud that slotted into the fitting.

This was on a boat originally fitted with roller boom reefing... I believe it was to allow the vang to be used for a full main, but quickly removable to facilitate rolling the boom for a reef (but ironically leaving you 'vangless' when you perhaps needed it most)
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome