|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|12-31-2010 12:05 AM|
|heinzir||Plan A sounds like a winner!|
|12-18-2010 05:08 PM|
chain plate reinforcement
I posted photos of the area in question at
you have to scroll down to the right part.
it wont let me post a link so the hard way is the toy diy by a girl DoT blogspot dOt c0m
I have severe spidering at the chain plate areas and want to reinforce that entire area as well as the deck hull connections as some place look kind of thin where the screws go through.
After I get the inside area sanded down to fiberglass...... The general idea is make a series of really long patches made of fiberglass cloth and epoxy the proper width, stagger them and epoxy into place to build up this area for strength not only on hull at top but under deck where the hull meets deck to give extra support to the chain plate connections. As you can see in the photo of the inner chain plate there is a gap between it and the hull.
The seal material between the deck plate and hull looks good at least on this section. The bolts look good.
Taking the deck completely off is not an option.
My thought is doing one section at a time;
Have two different ideas on how to deal with existing bolts
Plan A is:
1. take out the existing bolts.
2. do the fiber glass work leaving the original holes on the out side alone so I know where exactly to replace bolts at.
3. drill holes in original spots, put in longer S/S 316 bolts.
Plan B is;
1. one at a time, take out and immediately replace bolts with longer S/S 316 ones to prevent seal from breaking and deck plate from slipping or shifting. just do not put nuts or washers in place yet
2. make patches but punch holes in them to accommodate longer bolts.
Epoxy punched patches around bolts.
3. install washers/ nuts.
when it is all done replace vinyl covered wood with something.
My son mentioned the idea of using some sort of epoxied and varnished molding to allow for electrical lines to bow area along both sides.
I see no sign of any thing remotely close to a liner.
Thoughts, comments, ideas ?