SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: Selling my boat -am I crazy? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
06-29-2012 08:26 AM
Re: Selling my boat -am I crazy?

I just sold a 1977 O'day 22. It took well over a year to sell, maybe even closer to 2 years. I started at $5500 for a while got a few calls and one guy came to look. then nothing for a while. Lowered to $4900 got some sporadic interests but no offers and then it happened. I got a very nice lady, seriously wanting a boat she could feel comfortable about. Mine has 4 year old sails, 4 year old motor, 4 year old standing rigging, new side birth cushions....blah blah blah. In short, she looked at it and a bunch of others, liked it best, we came to an agreement of $4300 and she didn't want the trailer.

I guess what I learned is that if you wait for the right buyer for your boat you should get close to what it is worth. Of course, mine was on a trailer in my yard so, no fees were piling up and I could afford to wait. In the end we were both happy. I got about 50% what I invested in the boat (not including any of my labor) and she got the advantage of all that new stuff and worry free sailing.

I guess the difference here is that the longer you keep it the more it costs. If your intent is to stop the outlay of funds to own this boat, you may have to see it as a bird in the hand...However, it is the season and it is paid for the season. If your boat is in good shape, someone should come along that will appreciate that. The latter is a gamble though...

06-29-2012 05:23 AM
Re: Selling my boat -am I crazy?

The tough thing about boats in this price range, is an unexpected repair could substantially exceed the discount you are contemplating. In fact, in the extreme, it could exceed the value of the boat.

The more important question about selling is whether you plan to buy another. If yes, don't become a fleet owner. Sell first. If no, that's unacceptable and you should not sell.
06-29-2012 02:32 AM
Re: Selling my boat -am I crazy?

Did your boat sold? To sell your boat you should write a clear and informative title and description, ensuring top listings on Google and other search engines, generating thousands of visitors to your ad. For more information visit here:-
06-26-2012 07:17 PM
Re: Selling my boat -am I crazy?

So it comes without the slip? If the boat is in reasonably good condition, I think you should hold out for more $. I spent all winter traveling and looking at boats, prices vary by SEASON, if you could hold on to next spring and pretty it up, I bet you will get the $4500.
06-26-2012 06:46 PM
Re: Selling my boat -am I crazy?

Can't sell the slip, already checked.
06-26-2012 06:33 PM
Selling my boat -am I crazy?

1976 O'Day 25', at in demand marina in Buffalo (very cheap fees, great view, 70 person waiting list)

Bought boat for $2500, no marina fees included a few years back.
Put boat for sale this year, $4500 summer marina fees included (summer is $1000).
No offers. Relisted at $3500. Guy made offer of that, shook on it, he backed out two days later. Should have gotten deposit.
In the meantime, two of my friends that I share the boat with and the fees, they dropped out -had to refund fees because they were under understanding boat was sold.
Guy offered $2500. Considering it includes summer fees, I feel like this is crazy lowball offer. I'm going to take it if no other offers by then. Am I nuts? or take the money and run?

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome