SailNet Community - Reply to Topic

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  

Quick Menu
Boat Reviews  
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Marine Electronics
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Delaware River May 2013
 Not a Member? 

Thread: Delaware River May 2013 Reply to Thread

By choosing to post the reply below you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

Topic Review (Newest First)
05-08-2013 10:02 AM
Re: Delaware River May 2013

Rick you have had to make accommodations for weatherhelm, I have had to work with leehelm since I got my boat.

This is why I usually have only the main up in difficult weather. I have 135% headsail which I can only fully unfurl when the wind is behind the stern quarters, then rolled to less then 100% when the wind is on the beam, and less than 50% when the wind is forward of the bow quarters, and finally down to less than 25%.

If I don't do this the bow swings off the wind.

Pressure on the rudder will get the boat back on course in less than 10 kn winds, but in bigger winds I will let out the jib sheet or roll up the jib.

Unless I am going dead down wind, the jib contributes very little to boat speed, but does make for a more balanced helm even when only slightly rolled out.
05-08-2013 06:49 AM
Re: Delaware River May 2013

Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I was genuinely worried that you would not make it in before dark. I relaxed once I saw this:

Nice - that photo shows the beauty of the Delaware Bay area. Both of your descriptions seems to match almost every experience I have had there - it is not to be taken lightly.
05-07-2013 11:00 PM
Re: Delaware River May 2013

Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
...The last 4 hours to the Cohansey were by motor sail arriving just as the sun set about 7:30 PM, a long hard almost 12 hours at the tiller...
I was genuinely worried that you would not make it in before dark. I relaxed once I saw this:

Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
...Saturday morning promised a light 10 to 15 kn breeze out of the NE and clear skies for a sail with the ebb tidal current to Miah Maull Shoal Light and return with the flood current, about 40 nm round trip. The sail to Miah Maull was relatively uneventful but the wind started to die before Cross Ledge Shoal abandoned light house. Take Five tacked to the Jersey side then made good time with a wind shift out of the east to Miah Maull, I stayed near the shipping channel and made slow but steady progress to Miah Maull, rounding the light house as Take Five charged across the bay rounding the light as wind and sea state began building.
I heard 5-10 on WX, with breeze dying in the afternoon. Based on this, I shook out the reef when we hit the lull. That proved to be short-lived, as things picked up significantly before I even made it down to Miah Maull. I had to pull the reef back in pretty rough chop.

Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
As Take Five was hit by building seas and wind off Miah Maull, I was in 15 to 20 knot winds on the starboard beam with 3 to 4 ft short period breaking waves also off the starboard beam shifting to a following sea then alternating between beam and stern.

Winds and sea state kept building, jib was rolled up but I had no time or desire to go to the mast to set a reef. Set the mainsail in a fisherman's reef, a point of sail I had seen a Chesapeake Bay Skipjack restored oyster schooner use.
I can't do the fisherman's reef on a reach or run because of the swept-back spraeders. After I rounded Miah Maull I had two planned jibes, and as the swells kept pushing my stern around I had two unplanned jibes. I had rigged a preventer but never used it before and was not going to trust it in conditions like this. I also was worried that the preventer might backwind the main and spin the boat out of control, so I decided to eliminate the jibe risk by dropping the mainsail. I had my heart in my throat going forward with the boat heaving like it was, and was clipped in at two different places to ensure I could not get anywhere near the side of the boat.

The boat handled much better downwind with genoa alone, and was completely stable if I headed exactly downwind. The swells pushed directly behind the boat with no tendency to go broach. Only one problem - this bearing was taking me quickly toward the channel, which is a very bad place to be if you can't control your direction. So I had to bear off the tailwind by a few degrees, which meant I had to muscle the wheel to port every time a swell pushed my stern to port. Say what you want about how bad it is to have a wheel on a 25' boat, I was glad to have the mechanical advantage it provided. And there was certainly no shortage of weather helm. Somewhere else (can't remember where) I mentioned that I did some things to tighten up the steering system last year, and I am very glad I did because the chain would have been jumping off the sprocket without that improvement.

Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
...As I approached the Cohansey green entrance pylon Take Five was closing to within a few hundred feet. I shot through the river entrance within about 50ft of the pylon and made a sharp 45 deg turn to starboard to center the boat on the river...
The day before the wind was blowing off the starboard beam and heeled my boat over on bare poles enough to cavitate the prop. This time I left the genoa up and sailed further in until facing into the wind, where the boat leveled out and I could use the motor into the wind.

Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
Sunday came with a promise of 15 kn winds and a choppy sea state for our 25 nm trip up to Delaware City, leaving about 10:00 AM to sail; against about 3 or 4 hours of an ebb current then ride a flood current past Artificial Island to Delaware City.

Take Five took a course close to the Jersey shore line and made slow but steady speed in winds that had dropped to 5 to 10 kn in a calm sea state, I stayed close to the shipping lane hoping for more breeze in open water but could only manage progress of 1 to 2 knots against the current. Take Five passed Artificial Island at least 3 miles ahead of me
I actually managed to make 4-5 knots against the current for about an hour. I think the current must have been much weaker over in the shallows than it was near the channel.
05-07-2013 01:33 PM
Re: Delaware River May 2013

This was the sail down to Miah Maull. A long hypnotic or boring video, nothing will be missed by leaving the video early

05-07-2013 01:11 PM
Re: Delaware River May 2013

This past Saturday would have been a very difficult sail for me to the Cape May Canal entrance, but the distance from Egg Island Flats to the canal entrance is about half the distance Cape May Canal to Cohansey River.

Cohansey River to Cape May Canal is doable but for my 20ft boat timing for slack at the canal entrance is critical. In Saturdays conditions even slack at the canal entrance would have been difficult.

Currently planning on a Lewes trip for late summer and if timing works will also go to Cape May via the inlet at slack, then the canal for my return trip to Essington.

Cohansey to Lewes is a long long day but the Roosevelt inlet is more forgiving of poor timing.
05-07-2013 12:25 PM
Re: Delaware River May 2013

Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
OK. Any interest in a Cinco de Mayo Cape May trip?
Yes, or some other weekend. I was there for July 4th and Labor Day last year. I expect to be there in late Spring this year.
05-07-2013 11:55 AM
Re: Delaware River May 2013

I don't think we would have made it to Cape May this time. ;-(
05-07-2013 11:49 AM
Re: Delaware River May 2013

OK. Any interest in a Cinco de Mayo Cape May trip?
05-07-2013 11:14 AM
Re: Delaware River May 2013

Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post

This was a good warm up sail to start the season and I invite others to go on a Delaware Bay 2014 Cinco de Mayo sail.
How about a SailNet Cape May rendezvouz next time instead?
05-07-2013 10:58 AM
Re: Delaware River May 2013

I was wondering how the trip went! I spent my weekend spreading mulch around; it sounds like you guys had much more fun!
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) LLC 2000-2012

The store is owned and operated by a company independent of the forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.