SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: Whats this? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
07-22-2013 01:26 AM
Re: Whats this?

Well if it's not a tacker you could certainly use it as one!

one clue is the orientation of the sailmakers logo. It appears that it was intended to be used with the grommets down, which supports the theory that it might be meant to sling over the boom. The construction does not appear very robust, so I doubt it was intended to handle much load.
07-22-2013 01:17 AM
Re: Whats this?

Might be a galley brace (I don't remember the common name). Designed to keep the cook in the galley when it is rough or heeled way over. The cook leans back into it, and it is tied off on either side of the galley. I've only seen them on true U-shaped galleys, though.
07-21-2013 08:43 PM
Re: Whats this?

"Established in 1946 as Ulmer Sails, UK Sailmakers is one of the oldest groups of sail lofts in North America."
I'm gonna guess it's a tacker.
07-21-2013 07:01 PM
Re: Whats this?

I think it is a boom strap to use with a preventer. Wrap around the boom where needed and attach tackle as needed.
07-21-2013 05:17 PM
Re: Whats this?

Looks like it could be a seat. It is about 24" long if not a tad longer. About 6-8" wide in the middle. I think the po was talking about it when I mentioned a vang. Maybe he was talking about it being a preventer. The guy was hard to understand.
07-21-2013 01:27 PM
Dauntless Brent
Re: Whats this?

I've seen something like this before. It's hard to tell from the pic the size of it. The one that I saw was used as a seat. It was hung by bolts inside the cabin at the navigation station. That way the navigator could stay still while the boat pitched.
07-21-2013 10:12 AM
Re: Whats this?

doubt it i a tacker. They are usually nylon to reduce chafe. A strap of some sort.
07-21-2013 07:24 AM
Re: Whats this?

Looks like a "tacker" for a spinnaker.....wrap it around the forestay or furled jib, attach to the tack of the chute and to the downhaul (or a fixed pennant) and it will hold the tack of the chute at the boat's centerline.

Or it could be a seat for a rope swing?
07-21-2013 06:39 AM
Whats this?

Its on my new boat and I am not sure what it is for. Hold on while I upload it to another site so I can link it here. No pics will upload for me on this site.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome