SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: Seafevers BFS to Greenport and Back Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
07-26-2013 09:46 PM
Re: Seafevers BFS to Greenport and Back

We love Mattitck. Best kept secret and not for the faint of heart, but the anchorage is perfect. Having an "out" and not being forced to go from Port Jeff around the end of the Sound in ne day is good, especially if the current gods are not in your favor.
07-26-2013 09:36 PM
Re: Seafevers BFS to Greenport and Back


That's really great.

We have some really nice winds. I left last Friday for 4 day sail with some old high school buddies. We left Mt. Sinai right after the thunderstorm left and rode the wind north to Bridgeport (Captains Cove). We had 20+ kts of wind on the port quarter and sailed out of there at 7+ kts. The next day we sailed from Bridgeport to Northport - right into a 15 SW. With a reefed main we sailed S right at the stacks, then tacked north west and eventually into Hunt. Harbor and then northport. Sunday we sailed to Port Jeff and had easterly's at 12 kts. For that sail we tacked NE to Bridgeport and then S to PJ. Finally on monday we sailed home to Mt. Sinai.

We only ran the engine to get in and out of harbors.

We sailed about 100 miles and the engine was on for maybe 20 minutes.

I hope the wind continues because tomorrow my kids and I are sailing to Mattituck.

07-26-2013 08:59 PM
Ajax_MD Woot! Right on Tommays!
07-26-2013 07:36 PM
xort Jim
At duck isl?
We've been here 4 days waiting out rains and weather. Too long! Getting underway at 5am to beat the tide eastbound. Thanks for the invite, sorry. Next time...
07-26-2013 06:33 PM
Re: Seafevers BFS to Greenport and Back

The tidal currents in the sound have been huge lately. We had 2-3 kts against us coming back from three mile last weekend.
Xort. if your still around tomorrow, take a dink ride in up the river to starboard. I'm on the north side of the river just before the bridge.
07-26-2013 06:07 PM
Re: Seafevers BFS to Greenport and Back

Now that's a haul.
07-26-2013 11:35 AM
Re: Seafevers BFS to Greenport and Back

Oh hell yeah!!

Yet another I'm stealing for the Hall of Fame!
07-26-2013 10:58 AM
Re: Seafevers BFS to Greenport and Back

Nice Tom.
Travelling SSW with a NE wind blowing 15 - 35 knots, for 8 hours.
BFS indeed.
07-26-2013 10:14 AM
xort Thats haulin bootie! Been some wacky weather this week. We parked it at duck isl roads to sit out the rains.
07-26-2013 10:02 AM
Seafevers BFS to Greenport and Back

Well we did some great sailing this week with only one day of needing the motor which is the best week of sailing luck i have ever had

It became apparent the weather was going to be crap on 7/25 and 7/26

As the crap weather and perfect timing of the flood tide home was setting up a sail home that may never be topped we went with it as 70 miles is a long day

We left Greenport at 6 am and had a nasty ride out to plum gut and after turning west the sled ride begin and the boat would just not go slower than 8 knots with regular surges to 12 knots and a peak speed of 13.2 knots

In a fair bit of great luck we on the mooring in Northport at 4:30 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome