SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: GRP hulls Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
03-20-2007 04:35 PM
sailingdog BTW, GRP, FRP, Fiberglass are generally all the same. Some people use composite to mean fiberglass as well...but many people think of composite as "higher-tech" than plain old fiberglass... usually carbon fiber or kevlar.
03-20-2007 02:15 PM
Johnrb GRP is an acronym for 'glass reinforced plastic' as Gary stated above. I've most often seen it used in British publications, I expect it has something to do with "Fibreglas" being a trademark. In North America, the material usually seems to be referred to as fibreglass

Regarding problems to look for, search through the various threads on Sailnet for topics like osmosis, delamination, coring, etc. There is a lot of good information here.
03-20-2007 02:13 PM
Faster Gary's correct - GRP is another term for regular fiberglass.

The Vindos are reputedly quality vessels - but I'm thinking they may be glass hulls with wooden deck and coachroof??? If that's the case then the deck requires very careful inspection. At that vintage things may have begun to leak and/or rot.

I believe Ferenc Mate's book "The Worlds Best Sailboats" featured the Vindos as one of his picks.
03-20-2007 12:09 PM
Gary M I am going to take a wild guess here and suggest "Glass Reinforced Plastic" some times just referred to as a fibreglass hull.

Sorry not familiar with that particular vessel.

03-20-2007 11:14 AM
GRP hulls

I m looking to at a boat with a GRP hull its a Vindö 40, this one looks to be in good shape. my first question is what is GRP and what kind of problems should I be looking out for? My other question is what do you think of these boats. this one was built in the mid70s most of my sailing is dune with my wife on the coast of maine.
thanks stephen

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome