SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: Delaware City Marina Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
05-09-2007 10:03 PM
Freesail99 The fog will be worst tomorrow and Friday, be careful.
05-09-2007 09:59 PM
sailingdog Thanks for the update Labatt. Have a good trip up to NYC tomorrow. Keep us posted.
05-09-2007 09:53 PM
labatt Because of fog (I'll put in another post) we ducked into Cape May. Those power lines were pretty close in Deleware City (58 ft mast) and we were pulled in close to them. We ended up pulling the boat back a few slips and then pivoting it around the bow and flooring it. Tomorrow we're going to go offshore and head up to NYC - Yonkers actually.
05-09-2007 11:01 AM
Delaware City and offshore NJ

Watch out for overhead powerlines at Delaware City Marina. We've got ~60 mast and made it but it was VERY nerve wracking and I don't remember the tide. I recall asking for the clearance and them just being told not to worry about it. Everything indeed turned out fine.

If you can post information on your offshore passage off NJ I'd be interested. We plan on making that trip sometime, curious what kind of conditions you faced- wind and waves. Also what kind of time you were able to make and whether you sailed the whole way or motor sailed. How was the shipping traffic approaching New York harbour?

Thanks for any info!
05-09-2007 10:09 AM
btrayfors WX looks pretty good to me for a run up the Jersey coast. Just some long-period 4-6' swells today. Mostly southerly winds, some Easterly and later Westerlies, and light to moderate through Fri. Then, becoming Northerly Friday nite (by which time it would be good to be in NY!).

Latest coastal forecasts here:

U.S. Coastal Waters Forecasts by Zone - East - Philadelphia/Mt. Holly, PA/NJ

Fair winds and dry bilges, Labatt! We hope to be following your track up the NJ coast in about a month.

05-08-2007 09:00 PM
sailingdog Fair Winds Labatt...
05-08-2007 07:54 PM
labatt Tomorrow we're planning on going south from here, around Cape May, and then, depending on the weather, we may continue offshore for an overnight sail (and the next day too) north to New York City. From there we'll be going to Yonkers, NY for a few hours, and then we'll be heading north to Albany to get the mast off in preparation for transit to Lake Champlain.
05-08-2007 06:09 PM
sailingdog Thanks for the update and confirmation... Where are you headed to?
05-08-2007 05:17 PM
labatt I can confirm the water depth is 7' at the entrance and goes a few more feet deeper as you progress. It's going to be a very tight turn tomorrow to get out of here. They have you tie up parallel to shore. It's probably 60 feet across MAX (if not less) so I'm glad I had the single lever engine control put on!!

Just a note for Tuesday's in this sleepy town... most places are closed - the one restaurant (Crabby Dick's) and the ice cream parlor. There is a convenience store. Dockage is very expensive - $2/foot, but they are pretty nice people. They don't pay much attention to the VHF and are somewhat lackadaisical about answering the phone
05-08-2007 10:28 AM
PS to the last reply

As an afterthought, if the current is against you when entering the C&D, stop at Chesapeake City, then continue through when the current changes. In my opinion, this is a much better stop than Delaware City.

This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome