|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|11-11-2007 08:42 PM|
I have the new NOAA charts which shows the change, but out of 4 boats coming through at the same time I think I was the only one. Everyone got through after some radio chatter.
Now in Bellhaven, NC. One of my alternators would not stop charging and almost cooked my starter batteries so we ended up with an unscheduled stop at Alligator River marina (Miss Wanda was very helpful in getting me a ride to NAPA for some parts). Still need a new alternator and am looking to find a new one in Oriental or in Beaufort.
As for Lake Superior, North Channel and Georgian Bay in late September - It seems you have most of it for yourself! Except for a few locations (Marquette and Midland believe) we saw maybe two sail boats in Lake Superior, one in North Channel and one or two in Georgian Bay (lots of boat around Midland though. It also seemed that almost all of the marinas had or where closing down.
That being said, the sailing was super and the scenery was fantastic.
So far the ICW has not posed any problems though I am not looking forward having to plan for tide to avoid the shallow spots.
|11-11-2007 07:12 PM|
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
|11-11-2007 05:55 PM|
And yet I hauled in Toronto last year on November 13, in 10 C weather. This year, Oct. 19 (at my club...I paid a lot to haul later at a marina in 2006) and we've had a lot of cold rain. Today I saw a solid-looking sloop coming in through the Western Gap, and I have a friend with a steel boat who has gone out on New Year's Day on Lake Ontario...crunch, crunch...
Local conditions are ridiculously variable, but the insurance usually ends November 30, so that is the prime factor in haulouts or tying up to a winter dock with bubblers.
|11-11-2007 11:57 AM|
|Diva27||For what it's worth, our club, Midland Bay sailing Club, is on southeastern Georgian Bay. We schedule two haulouts, the last being October 20. Half the club chooses the earlier haulout, in late September. When I moved here 12 years ago on Nov 1, it was snowing, and didn't stop snowing till April. Winters vary, but basically October is a hit and miss month for boating, and you have to be awfully dedicated to want to sail in November.|
|11-05-2007 09:03 AM|
You sail until the water becomes ultra hard then you put runners on the boat and do some Ice boating.
Note: I have found here in the Gulf that some bouys are moved by barges or by Shrimpers whose gear gets entangled with the bouys. Seen a few day marks knocked over by tugs pushing a six pack or more.
|11-04-2007 09:44 AM|
|Valiente||Cam, I have never transited the ICW before, but I seriously wonder if it's worth the bother with stories like this. Parts of it seem indifferently maintained and I instinctively prefer the idea of just heading out to sea rather than tip-toeing under diesel power through "the ditch".|
|11-03-2007 09:31 PM|
Doffe...just so you know...if you were planning to take Dismal Swamp canal route south after Norfolk, the canal is closed. You need to take the eastern route down to Coinjock and then either the Alligator River route or the Pamlico Sound route to Oriental/Beaufort etc. ....north end of Alligator River is a bit tricky...note this post from Brak from last week:
I did get grounded 2 days ago at the entrance to Alligator river. I heeded the advice on marker 3 (marker 3 has been moved well WEST of marker #1 and a bit south)and that part went fine. And just when I thought everything is fine, past last marker there the depth started going up real fast So, I figured we strayed too far left (there is a shallow spot to the east of last green marker past shoal, 7 I beleive). Turned more to the right and - whoops, there it was. So we got lots and lots of lumps on the keel, but fortunately the engine got us off of there.
So, to everyone - be careful, that marker G3 is not the end of the story. Where the chart shows 5 feet east of green 7 is not too shallow, but just south of red 8 (again, from memory,numbers might be off) the shoal continues down to about 3-4ft.
|11-03-2007 08:47 PM|
Thanks for the good advice!
So we took your advice and got out of Lake Superior by the end of september. I am the Swedish dude married to cheapboxofwine. I sailed Lake Superior, the North Channel and Georgian Bay with a good friend and had a great sail to arrive in Midland, ON to go through the Trent Severn. We need 5.5 feet and I had called ahead a couple of times to check and to get "approval" as the controlling depth is supposed to be 6 feet. Unfortunately, the "6 feet" channel leading into the first lock was at best VERY NARROW. We got through but only with some seriously chattered nerves and after having hit a few times. We locked through, but the lockmaster at the second lock (Big Chute) was not keen on letting us continue. Apparantly they have some stretches with very little water (sounds like 5 feet may be a more realistic draught at this time). Anyone heading this way should check in very carefully with the powers that be.
We ended up trucking Windfall (a Storebro Royal 33) to Annapolis and after some sightseeing and wheather delays we are now heading south. We are right now in Deltaville and heading for Hampton tomorrow morning.
|06-13-2007 02:12 PM|
|labatt||The Erie Canal usually closes on Nov 15th - earlier if there's ice.|
|06-13-2007 11:18 AM|
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|