SailNet Community - Reply to Topic

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related) > Active Captain question
 Not a Member? 


Thread: Active Captain question Reply to Thread
Title:
  

By choosing to post the reply below you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below


Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below


Topic Review (Newest First)
03-17-2014 01:28 PM
manatee
Re: Active Captain question

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Okay - I see your point. And I agree. As I posted above, here is a link to his posts (at least those that weren't deleted for abuse):

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/search...archid=2349106

People can decide for themselves.

I'll now go sailing.
Sorry, Smack, your link doesn't work. I tried using the 'search for all posts', but it looks as though they don't get saved -- didn't work when I tried to link to the search-results page. Here's his profile page, from which interested parties may find his posts.

SailNet Community - View Profile: JeffreySiegel

PS -- Have fun on the water!

PPS -- Dadburnit, you fixed it while I was fumble-finger typing.
03-17-2014 12:56 PM
smackdaddy
Re: Active Captain question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Not trying to. But at the same time we're discussing a man whose only way of defending himself is to break our rules and sign on with yet another user name.

Believe me, I'm not a fan. I'm just trying to be fair. I'm not suggesting closing the thread or deleting anything.
Okay - I see your point. And I agree. As I posted above, here is a link to his posts (at least those that weren't deleted for abuse):

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/search...archid=2349106

or

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/member...reysiegel.html

People can decide for themselves.

I'll now go sailing.
03-17-2014 12:15 PM
l_lym
Re: Active Captain question

This is a perfect example of why I can't get my wife to use these forums despite the very useful information and things that we can learn. When a simple questions winds up in name calling and insults it's exhausting to wade through the BS of hijacked threads to get back to an answer to the original question.
03-17-2014 12:05 PM
eherlihy
Re: Active Captain question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34crealock View Post
"Why can't we all just get along". The Late Rodney King
... because it has been a long cold winter, and the participants of SailNet are getting a little stir crazy. This happens every year.
03-17-2014 11:54 AM
34crealock
Re: Active Captain question

"Why can't we all just get along". The Late Rodney King
03-17-2014 11:45 AM
DRFerron
Re: Active Captain question

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Because it gives us noobs insight into a possibly-useful utility, the guy that runs it, and some of the more vocal partisan and antipartisan sailnetters?
What I'm struggling with is that on the one hand he brought it on himself by his behavior yet on the other, this is a totally one-sided discussion. And, since we've discussed him and his antics in other threads (not to mention his own posts are still up), too, how much is enough to get the point across?

The people who like his product despite his personality will continue to use it.
The people who dislike him and refuse to use his product, won't use it.
03-17-2014 11:28 AM
manatee
Re: Active Captain question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I can't think of any reason to continue having this discussion.
Because it gives us noobs insight into a possibly-useful utility, the guy that runs it, and some of the more vocal partisan and antipartisan sailnetters?
03-17-2014 11:23 AM
DRFerron
Re: Active Captain question

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Maybe because it's informative and useful? Please don't turn this place into CF.
Not trying to. But at the same time we're discussing a man whose only way of defending himself is to break our rules and sign on with yet another user name.

Believe me, I'm not a fan. I'm just trying to be fair. I'm not suggesting closing the thread or deleting anything.
03-17-2014 11:21 AM
smackdaddy
Re: Active Captain question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I agree. Jeff is certainly a character. In my interactions by phone, e-mail, aboard A Capella, and at gatherings elsewhere afloat and ashore I have never seen the sort of behavior attributed to Jeff. Based on sheer volume I accept that there must be something there but it is outside of my experience. He can certainly be sensitive and get defensive. He feels strongly about what he does. He has built a good business where the customers he is passionate about (cruisers and other boaters) get a service paid for by someone else (marinas and other businesses).

There are businesses I won't use because of ownership. I can understand that some might feel that way about ActiveCaptain. There are lots of alternatives to Dominos for pizza (for example) but no one else provides the service--for free--that ActiveCaptain does.

I think Jeff and Karen are great people. People I think highly of don't agree.
Ausp - have you not read his posts here? No "attribution" necessary. Those are his words. And they are words you can read yourself - which is not "outside your experience". Anyone can read them.

Do you really think he was banned unjustly? Do you really want to give the guy a pass this strongly? Why?
03-17-2014 11:16 AM
smackdaddy
Re: Active Captain question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I can't think of any reason to continue having this discussion.
Maybe because it's informative and useful? Please don't turn this place into CF.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:06 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.