SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: What is best for a Ham operator in reguards to email. Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
09-05-2007 10:26 AM
Fearless Thanks hellosailor. I am going to join.

If anyone is interested in getting the Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit here is a copy of the letter I got from the FCC

To complete a Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit you will
need FCC Form 605 (Main Form) and the FCC 605 Schedule E (Additional Data
for the Commercial Radio, Restricted Radiotelephone, and Restricted
Radiotelephone-Limited Use Radio Services). FCC form 160 will be
required if you do not have an FCC Registration Number (FRN) for a manual
filing. The 159 (fee remittance) is needed for payment. These forms can
be obtained via web site:

To file online please follow the step by step instructions when
applying for a New Restricted Radiotelephone Operator License
1) Go to web site Click on Register,
if you do not have an FCC Registration Number (FRN). Continue through
the steps until you receive a FRN then proceed to ULS online filing.
2) If already registered Click Log In, under the Online Filing
3) Enter your FRN and password. If you do not have your password
or have forgotten it and have set a Personal Security Question (PSQ) go
to web site and select Reset
Password, enter your FRN and answer the PSQ allowing you to reset your
password. If you have not set the PSQ go to web site and submit a reset password form or
call (877) 480-3201 for assistance.
4) On the My Licenses screen click on the link Apply for a New
License. On the Select Service screen, choose "RR-Restricted Operator".
5) Answer the questions on the following screens; navigate through
each screen by clicking on the Continue Button.
6) On the Certification screen, "sign" the application by typing
you name in the appropriate boxes.
7) Click the Submit Button. You will receive a confirmation screen
giving you the file number for the application submitted and the fee
payment options will also be available. You can make the fee payment
online or print out the 159 and submit it with payment (check, money
order, credit card) to: Federal Communications Commission, Wireless Bureau
P. O. Box 358994, Pittsburgh, PA 15251-5994. (The FRN will be needed
to access the 159 form for the electronic filing). This fee must be
received within 10 calendar days of the filing.
08-30-2007 02:03 PM
hellosailor Fearless-
Again, the FCC and the ARRL are probably your best sources to find out the "reciprocal operating agreements" which govern operation of your radios in different countries. They'll be able to refer you to the actual rules--which of course may change from year to year. Both have updated lists of countries which allow ham operation for foreigners.
ARRL membership is something like $39/year but there is also a discount for newly licensed hams--call them and ask for the new ham rate, even if you decide not to renew, they offer you a lot of resources to get started with. (Including free insurance on your ham radio.) I think they also have a book out now specifically for "marine ham radio" on boats, otherwise they have sections in their other books (on antennas, on mobile use, etc.) that mention boats in passing.
08-30-2007 11:09 AM
camaraderie Fearless...assuming the Bahamas and Caribe are of interest to you, here's some good frequencies!
08-30-2007 09:32 AM
SimonV A simple antenna is the GAM It clips onto the back stay or shroud,
08-29-2007 09:46 PM
Fearless Thanks for the information hellosailor. I have already sent my 802 in for the fix. This stuff is a bit tricky. Does anyone know of any good books concentrating on Ham and SSB radios spacifically for boating. One that might tell you what you need to do to use the radio in spacific countries, etc.?
08-29-2007 09:24 PM
hellosailor Fearless, "type accepted" equipment would have a label stating that on it, usually on the back or bottom.

Not to worry, your Icom 802 isn't some Chinese bootleg radio. It is a legal marine SSB radio. I don't see any ham claims but IIRC it does meet the specifications for ham use, most marine radios are built "cleaner" than ham radios. I'm sure Icom can tell you if this one is suitable for sure.

Icom is having a problem with those radios, see for the contact information, I would suggest sending the radio in for the modification. (Which I'd call correcting a design defect, not a modification.)

Because of the many variations in the rigging and construction on sailboats, a whip antenna can be a good simple alternative to trying to work something else into the rigging. If nothing else it is a good starting point and you can experiment from there.
08-29-2007 06:12 PM
Fearless velero,
I have a whip on the back that seems to work fine. I will have to do more testing to be sure but so far so good. I talked with Gorden West before I purchased it and he also seemed to think it would be ok.

Excuse my ignorance but what is "type accepted" and how would I know if my stuff is "type accepted" or not?
08-29-2007 02:06 PM
hellosailor "The SSB or Ham radio equipment must be type accepted. "
Yes and no. Marine SSB must be type accepted in order to be comercially sold OR operated as such. Ham radios used to be type accepted in order to be commercially sold--but IIRC the term now is "certified compliant" not "type accepted". That's for commercial sales, not for operation. A licensed ham may use anything they please as/on the ham bands--as long as it meets emission requirements. From a practical point of view, a marine SSB operator needs to know they are using type accepted equipment to know if it is legal for use. A ham operator only needs to know if a radio is certified/accepted, etc., if they want to use it without doing all the emissions tests themself.

And that's ignoring "emergency" operations, which are governed by other rules.

And hams with a tech license now do have limited HF privileges, a very small piece of the 10m band is open to all techs for voice use.

Since the rules governing ham radio change from time to time, posting a sticky would probably only create a legacy land mine. The ARRL.ORG web site is a great place for newcomers to learn about ham radio, and the FCC itself posts all the current ham regulations, as they take effect and when changes are pending.
08-29-2007 10:40 AM
sailingdog velero-

Get an antenna that doesn't require modifying the shroud or stay, but mounts parallel to it.
08-29-2007 10:07 AM
What is your antenna configuration?


I have an H46 and installed the ICOM 802/AT140 but not sure what to use as an antenna that does not cost a lot!!! I have considered installing a "backstay" but the modifications to the arch are about 2.5 boat dollars and cutting the shrouds to use as an antenna just is not appealing and it could be expensive as well. thanks, Velero
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome