SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: learning to sail Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
01-12-2008 11:08 AM
camaraderie That is called a boom VANG. It is used to control the vertical angle of the boom while you use your mainsheet to control the horizontal angle. On boats without a vang...the mainsheet does double duty and is less effective at controlling sail twist and loss of power.
01-12-2008 06:21 AM
kennyarmes camaraderie
thanks for the reply i think i used the wrong term. i know what the boom preventer is the part that i was talking about is the part that is part way up the boom and goes to the base of the mast. it keeps the sail flat. how does this work with the traveler
01-11-2008 05:13 PM
camaraderie Kenny...welcome! A preventer is generally used on a broad or beam reach when the winds are light and flukey and when there is some danger that the boom could gybe and swing rapidly over to the other side of the boat...beheading people and causing gear damage. Since this can really happen any time the helmsman fails to pay attention to his course or the wind on any tack...many cruisers will use one full time. In it's simplest form, a prventer is simply a line with one end tied aroung the boom and another end tied to the rail closest to the boom. This rope prevents the boom from moving back across the boat. More commonly, preventers are rigged with multipart tackle and shackles for easy adjustment and use.
There are more complex but better ways to rig a preventer and there are other products that work like a preventer but require little attention and lots more $$.
I am not very good at drawing so I will leave it at that for now! Perhaps some others ave a good illustration. I particularly like the preventers that are rigged from the boom to a sheave on the bow of the boat and then run back to the cockpit winch for easy and quick adjustment.
01-11-2008 03:28 PM
learning to sail

i have a 33 0/I. i have sailed on a corbin 39 and a 33 0/I before but neither had a boom preventer. just a traveler any one tell me how to use it and when to use it.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome