SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: American Charter regulations question. Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
02-04-2008 02:44 PM
bestfriend Thanks Jody! Good news!
02-04-2008 08:35 AM
Jones Act - and answer typically was NO but recently an amendment was made and this is the exception for using foreign built vessels as charters...

There are some basic requirements for a vessel to qualify for a waiver under this program:
  1. The vessel must be at least three years old.
  2. The vessel must be of at least 5 net tons (approximately 24’ in length).
  3. The vessel, when in service, cannot carry more than 12 passengers.
  4. The intended use must be to carry passengers only. Activities such as carriage of cargo, commercial fishing, towing, dredging and salvage do not qualify for this program. Sport fishing is permitted as long as the fish caught are not sold commercially.
  5. The vessel must be owned by a U.S.-Citizen.
The vessel must meet all other U.S. Coast Guard requirements for a Coastwise Trade Endorsement before it can engage in commercial service.
Once a waiver is received, the applicant should file for a Coastwise Trade Endorsement for the passenger trade with the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG).


other interesting site (how I got there) ->

02-03-2008 11:59 PM
American Charter regulations question.

Can't seem to find the answer, but I heard that in order to operate a charter sailboat in the US (or maybe it was just CA) the hull needed to be laid up in America. Any truth in this? Thanks in advance.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome