|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|03-21-2008 10:19 PM|
George, First off I will agree with cam about it would be a hard beat to windward to get to the Virgin Islands from the Bahamas. However, that said it is not impossible. When we were in St Thomas in Jan - March of 2005, we met a 23 year old single-hander who bought an old 26 foot sloop for $3,500 in Tampa FL. He then sailed her, by himself (with no auto pilot or wind vane self steering device) from Tampa down through the Bahamas to the Dominican Republic, and from there over the top of Puerto Rico (without stopping) until he arrived in St Thomas. He would heave-to at night to get some sleep and at time he could trim the boat so she would sail by herself. So you see, it CAN be done.
To see a picture of Nat go to:
and scroll down to "Nat the young single-hander"
|03-18-2008 02:46 PM|
Thank you for the helpfull tips, especially leaving @ 10 pm. I would have left early am otherwise. I like the idea of a more leisurly arrival.
If I do go inside the sound (probably will) I will look you up and thanks very much for the offer of a mooring!!
|03-09-2008 11:32 PM|
SGKuhner...good to see you back on line! Good luck with the rest of the trip and we hope to see you both at the docks in the fall!
Sidney777... my comment was made because of the conditions that will be faced going 700 miles to windward against the trade winds and seas in a modestly built coastal cruiser that is not designed for that type of work. I'm not saying it CAN'T be done..just will be much more uncomfortable and dangerous than most people would want. BTW...I like the C30 very much and at one point in our lives it was our dream boat...and I have sailed on them as well as owning two catalinas. I am referring specifically to THIS boat as being unsuitable for the trip...not all catalinas.
The Bahamas to the Turks and Caicos are easily do-able in a C30 with a competent crew. Once you have to turn the corner and head east in open water it is a different story. In MY boat we had to wait a full 30 days in the DR before conditions were benign enough to make progress to windward.
Note that the original writer said Domenica ...not the DR.
|03-09-2008 06:22 PM|
charts for the bahamas
I have not seen anyone mention charts. If you are going to cruise the Bahamas, the ONLY charts to use are the Explorer Charts. They come in three books, and all the way points are spot on. And DO NOT rely on your chart plotter when navigating the Bahamas. I have seen too many boats go aground, blindly following their chart plotters and not looking overboard at the color of the water; especially on Witches Point south west of Marsh Harbor on Great Abaco. One friend went aground there when we were buddy boating with him. When I went aboard to help him kedge off, he showed me that his chart plotter had him smack in the middle of the channel; but one look overside and one could see that the water was too shallow.
As for going on down the Jersey coast, Manasquan can be dicey. Also, If we have a forecast for 2 days of a westerly or northwester when leaving Cape May, we always just go straight down the Delaware coast directly to Norfolk. It is two days and a night sail. (do you have an auto pilot?) Once in the ICW, the trick is to RELAX and enjoy the trip. Don't push it as it is a fun trip in and of itself, only if you don't look at it as a delivery; but, as an adventure. Besides Skipper Bob's Anchorages on the ICW (as Camaraderie recommends) get the chart book and a highlighter and highlight each buoy as you pass it. That way when you need to do a quick check of the chart because you are not sure what you are looking at ahead, you will have a quick reference point. That will be especially useful as you will be single handing.
We always cross over to the Abacos from Lake Worth Inlet in Palm Beach. We wait for a good forecast of a southerly to westerly breeze and we leave at about 10 pm so that we arrive on the banks at 7 am and then continue on to Great Sail Cay so we don't have to put in at West End and pay a marina fee. Also by leaving at night, we can sail even if we are not making good time. If you leave in the early AM to do a day passage, you have to push to make it to West End by night fall.
Good Luck and Oh Yes, definitely come down the LI Sound and stop in the Norwalk Islands or the Five Mile River and we will arrange a mooring for you for the night.
|03-09-2008 01:50 PM|
camaraderie vbmenu_register("postmenu_269970", true); said. Please explain the Why of this statement ?
"I am pretty confident you won't make it to Domenica in a C30...but you'll figure that out yourself along the way."
|03-07-2008 01:43 PM|
Originally Posted by gclayton
|03-07-2008 01:29 PM|
Buddy Boating sounds like a good idea if our trips coincide.
I expect to leave NH after the second week in Oct. Weather permitting I could see Block Island in 2 days.
Based on the great advice I have received from this thread from that point on if I have crew Ill go outside to Chesapeak or without crew Ill go LI Sound on to Cape May
|03-06-2008 11:31 PM|
|sailingdog||If you're both doing this trip in October, it might be a good idea to buddy boat... if your schedules are compatible.|
|03-06-2008 11:16 PM|
I might be making the same trip in late oct in my hunter 36,
still in the planning stage.
I will be spending most of the summer cruising around Long Island sound,Block Island,Newport getting crew ready for the trip,My home port is Greenport.
|03-03-2008 11:07 PM|
Manasquan is a decent but narrow inlet and good in most conditions. Jones is dicey, strong currents and shifting shoal channels. If you go around Montauk the ONLY route that makes sense is offshore to Cape May.
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|