My mast height is also 63'' and I''ve had no problems with any fixed Ditch bridges behind Hatteras or elsewhere other than one bridge in Florida (can''t remember where, mid-coast I think).
05-22-2001 09:51 AM
Unless I am mistaken, I believe all fixed bridges on the Intercoastal are a minimum of 65'' clearance at Mean High Water. I remember one trip that a chart I was using said (in error) clearance for a particular bridge was 62'' it was nail biting time since my mast height is 64 1/2'' and I just happened to look at the chart as I was passing under this bridge and we were coming into high tide. I believe there might be one bridge in the Miami, Fla. area which is below the 65''clearance. You may have the same old chart that I had with the error on it. Also, most of the bridges have a height clearance marker on the rip rap which indicates the current clearance. You should have no problem with your mast height. If any question just wait until low water. Good Luck! It is a fun trip-of course depending on your draft and how often you run aground.
05-22-2001 07:58 AM
I have just bought a Tayana 42 and will be bringing her north from Ft. Lauderdale to Boston this summer. I wonder if I can go the intracoastal behind Hatteras or if my mast height (63 feet above water) is too much for bridges that are listed at 64-foot clearance!!!
04-19-2001 10:41 AM
I couldn''t agree more. Speed kills
03-12-2001 02:42 AM
With a new(to you) boat, it might be a good idea to start out with a few short hops to ensure everything works the way it''s supposed to and will hold up properly. It would be less than fun to find out in a dead calm that the engine overheats after an hour or two, or that the batteries don''t hold their charge to keep the nav instruments on all night. A surprise like one of those could make taking the ICW attractive in comparison.
03-11-2001 03:25 PM
I just bought a 42 Gulfstar located in Charleston SC and looking at sailing it to New York I have 10 years experence but not much in blue water.Thinking about a crew of two.Don`t have a lot of time so I think the ICW is not a opion. Looking at posible leaving mid April.Any info would be greatly appreciated.