SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: What type depth finder do you have? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
10-25-2003 11:04 AM
What type depth finder do you have?

The main reason for using a PVC pipe or other container for a fluid is to provide a level mounting position for the transducer.

It is usually difficult to find a level spot on the hull to mount the transducer. If it isn''t level, the beam is directed down at an angle and the depth you are reading will be in error by the degree of the angle.

A PVC pipe/container can be beveled to match the angle of the hull and allow the transducer to be mounted vertically. The fluid is needed to maintain a low loss path between the transducer and the hull/water.

10-25-2003 07:41 AM
What type depth finder do you have?

I like the idea of standing on the bow and shouting to port or starboard and by the Mark Twain. Just find out what a Mark is and you dont need batteries or a video screen just some practice swinging lead.
08-17-2003 10:34 AM
What type depth finder do you have?

I have a similar boat (Paceship PY26) , which when I bought it had an old thru-hull depth sounder that always seemed to think it was in the Marianas Trench....
I installed a Standard Horizon #35 with an In-hull Puck transducer(Airmar P79 which is the kind that sits in a base filled with mineral oil). The display unit can be flush-mounted or on a small bracket that comes with it. I put the transducer base in with 3M-5200, but the transducer itself is removable. The system works great, and the whole thing ran about $200 at West Marine.
08-06-2003 10:56 AM
What type depth finder do you have?

Yes I am on vacation but unfortunately not on my boat. Of course its been raining non stop all week so not so bad.

Andy answered the question correctly. The display unit eventually died as the LCD seemed to bleed out. Had it repaired once by Raymarine (free at that!) but it did it again. That is why it is replaced.

I would never suggest that anybody by a fishfinder rather than a depth sounder for a sailboat. Especially one with a transom mount transducer. But it was free and the alternative was not. The replacement thru hull transducer was very expensive and not worth it. The FF worked very very well for depth and did not max out even in 130 feet of water.

I am very happy to have a proper instrument now tho.

Happy Sailing

... on vacation ...
08-05-2003 08:36 AM
What type depth finder do you have?

Some use the sleeve & mineral oil method to avoide the "bubbles" that can be present in epoxy. If the epoxy is absolutely bubble-free - no problem, except the previously noted transducer power loss.
08-05-2003 06:17 AM
What type depth finder do you have?

Yes, a PO had tried that in my boat too. Its an alternative to the epoxy method but, at least in my case, can be messy. It was a poorly done install and all the oil ran out. Water can be used too. The epoxy makes a neat job of it and lets face it, how often do you need to remove the transcucer when its not being exposed to the elements anyway?
The main reason I went epoxy instead of thru-hull is simply because the boat was already afloat. I really have no qualms with drilling holes in my boat. God knows my wife would tell you thats all I do!
Good luck.

08-04-2003 06:00 PM
What type depth finder do you have?

Thanks Andy. That''s what I was hoping to hear, so as to have the option of going both ways. The previous owner of my boat mounted the transducer in a short piece of pvc pipe and then filled it with mineral oil. Do you know why this method was used? I''m under the impression that I should just epoxy the unit to the hull and leave it. Correct? I too couldn''t care less deep it is, but rather how shallow. Thanks
08-04-2003 04:28 AM
What type depth finder do you have?

Mike is on vacation so I''ll answer for him:

Yes, he (actually - "we") took his transom mount transducer and epoxied to the inside of the hull below the water line. This was an Apelco fishfinder.We tested it by placing it in a pool of water in the same spot first. It read depth just fine glued in place like that until the unit eventually failed.
My SR Mariner Thru-Hull Transducer is also epoxied to the inside of my hull and this also works fine although I suspect that the max. depth it can read has been limited. I''m more interested in how shallow the water is than how deep so this works fine for me. I had guidance from SR Mariner on how to do this. Its a common procedure.
Upside: - one less hole in the boat
Downside: possible decrease in max. depth
transducer is "permenantly" mounted

08-02-2003 04:53 AM
What type depth finder do you have?

Can anyone answer "sailingbauble''s" question? I''ve seen fishfinders as the humminbird "piranha" and the like used in sailboats which I''m pretty sure only come with the transom mount transducer. So apparently, some have successfully used transducers designed for transom mount, as glue down "shoot thru hull"???? Thanks for replys.....Gary
07-26-2003 01:57 PM
What type depth finder do you have?

mikehoyt writes: "I have had a fishfinder bulkhead mounted and because it came with the boat with a transom transducer tried the epoxy inside hull method. Worked well."

I''m not sure I understand. Are you saying that rather than mounting a transducer designed for transom mounting on the transom, you instead epoxied it directly against the inside of the hull, presumably in the bilge area? And that you had good results with this arrangement?
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome