|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|06-06-2008 03:24 PM|
|06-06-2008 03:11 PM|
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
[quote]$1200 for an '84 Merit 25? Damn. I thought I got a good deal sounds like a fun boat[/qoute]
Oh she needed some work when I bought her, and still does, but I'm holding out until the winter to do the rest.
|06-06-2008 02:15 PM|
Thanks for the update.
|06-06-2008 02:14 PM|
|eMKay||$1200 for an '84 Merit 25? Damn. I thought I got a good deal sounds like a fun boat|
|06-06-2008 01:10 PM|
|sailingfool||The Merit 245 is a nice performing boat and would seem a good buy at that kind of money. Once you are comfortable with handling her, buy yourself a new hitech 150% and try out the local PHRF fleet.|
|06-06-2008 01:06 PM|
|chucklesR||Glad you finally got it out and about ZZ. Have a great racing season.|
|06-06-2008 12:48 PM|
First time out in new to me boat.
I'm no writer, so bare with me
On Thursday the 29th, my friend, his dad and myself prepared to drop the mast on my Merit 25. We used the traveler car as an anchor point and the boom as a gyn pole. All was well until we almost got it to the horizontal position when POP! The car let go, lucky for me, my friend and I work out a lot (12oz curls mostly lol) and we were able to hang onto the mast to keep if from doing any damage. So I made the 1.5 hour trip to Annapolis to find a new traveler car, which no one had the older style, so drove back 1.5 hours and finished the electrical. We towed the boat back to my friends house where I was staying for the night.
Saturday morning there were winds from 15-20 gusting to 25 kts. We stepped the mast into the wind, rigged it and backed it on down the ramp. Good news, it floats! Which is saying a lot considering I got the trailer, motor, and boat for $1200.
Everyone piled onboard (5 total) and we motored out a short distance and then raised the main and turned down for beam reach. 6 kts through the water, this boat gets to hull speed fast. Over land was higher. We tooled around with the main a bit and decided to reef it and put up a 110% jib. Through the water we peaked at 7.7 kts and my friends GPS was reading faster over land. Ok, so I’m impressed with this 25’ boat, takes very little effort to get it surfing.
Sunday, just my friend and I went out in what started to be decent wind, however after we started back to the dock the wind decided to take a nap. I figured it was a good time to try and fly the kit. Well, the first time I rigged it wrong, the second time I forgot the pole downhaul, and the 3rd time she went up she set and stayed up. Even in next to know wind, 3.5-4.5 kts under the spin. We needed to sail a bit closer to get back to the dock so down came the kite and up went the 150%. Made around 5 kts heading back. You couldn’t slap the smile off my face with a baseball bat.
Thanks for all the help and advice I got here. If you’re down by the St Mary’s river give me a yell.
Merit 25 # 764 “Audrey”