|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|07-28-2008 09:13 PM|
|RickQuann||Nice pics Mike|
|07-27-2008 10:46 PM|
|07-27-2008 08:53 PM|
Yeah.... quality weather forecasting in Buffalo this summer, eh? We were hoping to take our "new" boat out for our maiden voyage, but decided 20-25 knots wasn't the best idea for a new to us centerboard boat (moving up from a Sunfish). Ah well, we had a nice lunch at the Palmwoods at Crystal Beach instead.
Great pictures, thanks for posting -- I wanted to take a few from the north side of the lake but my camera batteries were dead.
|07-27-2008 04:31 PM|
|johnshasteen||Every sail is an adventure!!!!|
|07-27-2008 03:57 PM|
It was a sporty sail today...
The forecast was for 10-15kt winds, perfect right? When we got to the marina they were about 12kts, so I figured main and big genny, we got out there and hoisted the main and was about to unfurl the genny but decided against it when it started gusting, so we just left the main up. And the wind got stronger and stronger until 2 hours later I decided to either reef or head back in since I was passing the marina, and we just had the leeward rail under (really hard on a boat with as high a freeboard as ours) we decided to head back in because I didn't want to try and dock if the winds were any higher. Also I think reefing would just make us slow, it's a really DEEP reef in our main, we should have reefed at the beginning, put away the genny, and flew the working jib. We would have if the forecast was right, but it wasn't, so we didn't at this point they were 20kts with 25kt gusts. Lots of fun though, lots of boats out, most under just genny or main, a few bigger boats with both...
Current conditions, we were out between 12 and 2...
NDBC - Station BUFN6
Little tiny boat, reefed main, notice the windmill's blades bending backward...
Big boat (pearson Flyer), fancy silver sails, rail touching...
When we were heading back in, whitecaps INside the breakwall...