|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|08-27-2008 05:47 AM|
I use a Rocna 15 (33 lbs) on my boat as the primary, and it sets such that I generally don't worry about it. You could probably get away with the Manson Supreme or Rocna 10 (22 lbs). for your boat. I'd also recommend going up to at least 30' of chain.
I'd also recommend going up to about 150' of rope (and the 30' of chain) as well...since, if you're cruising, you may have to anchor in a deeper spot once in a while and in storm conditions, 100' of rope with 15' of chain is only good for about 9' of water at 10:1 scope. 180' of rode will let you anchor in 16' of water or so at 10:1 scope.
|08-27-2008 12:20 AM|
Back from cruise
We're back and here's a quick recount:
We left Fairhaven a week ago last Saturday afternoon, after loading up the boat with more stuff than we could possibly need for a week. We sailed up to Red Brook Harbor on a broad reach under reefed main only, in some typically steep Buzzards Bay chop. The best part (and the reason we only had the main up) was watching a wild thunderstorm racing parallel to us on the northwest shore of the bay. Where we were in the middle of the bay it was blue sky and sunny (though quite breezy), but we could hear the thunder and see the lightning just a few miles away. I was pretty confident the storms would stay on the shore and if not felt we would outrun it into the harbor, which is what made it fun as opposed to nervewracking
We moored at Parker's boat yard for the evening and got an early start to make the Cape Cod Canal on the tide the next morning. My first time going through the canal was relaxing and uneventful. When we reached the canal exit we had light air and a dead run to Provincetown. Currently I am lacking a genoa or any other large headsail so under working jib and main we only made 4 knots most of the way. It was a peaceful 5 hours spent bobbing across Cape Cod Bay. I rigged a preventer from a spare block made fast to the cabin hand rail that proved to be quite helpful when our attention waned and we veered off course to where the main would try to gybe.
In P-town our original plan was to anchor near town the 1st night, put the boat on a mooring while we stayed in a B&B night 2, then anchor again on night 3 across the harbor by the beach at Wood End. What ended up happening was that we spent 3 nights on the mooring - which was relaxing and secure, but at the not so cheap cost of $45/night. We grabbed the mooring the first night because when we arrived the wind had picked up significantly and the areas I thought were designated for anchoring looked chock full of moorings. Provincetown Moorings found us a nice mooring in close to the dock with a launch and facilities, and we just stayed on it for the duration.
We left Provincetown on Wednesday with the wind out of the NW at 15 knots. This happened to be the direction of our intended destination (Scituate). When we rounded Wood End and were due to make a 90 deg turn to the NW we found there were also 5-6 foot seas coming from the same direction. So we made a prudent decision to head in the direction of the Canal instead. I think we'd still be beating toward Scituate if we had tried; instead we had one of the best sails of my life, on a beam reach making 6 knots with a lot of spray coming over the rail. Another highlight of the day was sailing within a stone's throw past the tall ship Kalmar Nyckel just outside of Provincetown Harbor.
Wednesday night we anchored in Onset and my Dad joined the crew. The next morning we left around 10:30, motored down the channel, and tacked down Buzzards Bay until we got back home. I was proud we made it from the end of Hog Island channel to my marina entrance on only 3 tacks (off scraggy neck, at the mouth of marion harbor, and s of cleveland light) while beating right into the wind.
Here are some pictures:
Cal and Meghan's 2008sailingtrip slideshow on Flickr
I will post some videos soon too if I can get them uploaded.
- Thanks to everyone who helped rein in my earlier ambitions about covering much more ground than we did. We only made it a 5 day trip and it felt like the right amount of sailing for that.
- I am still a little tentative about anchoring in less than ideal conditions. I have a 18# danforth, 15' of chain and 100' of rode. The boat is 6700 lbs dry weight, 4 foot draft. I've never dragged but haven't tested it in any difficult conditions. Should I consider upgrading ground tackle and if so, to what?
- I really need a genoa and a depthsounder. I may spring for a roller furling setup and genny next year.
- Lots of good weekends left this sailing season but I'm already thinking about next year's cruise!
|08-10-2008 10:53 PM|
|camaraderie||GC...second the Scituate recommendations. One of the nicest surprises we had in our NE cruise was Scituate harbor...you forgot to mention the great seafood!|
|08-10-2008 10:19 PM|
I agree with those who believe Maine is a bit far in a small boat with limited time. You might consider doing Maine over two sailing seasons -- one to get there and see a few places, winter the boat in Maine somewhere and then in the second season see some more and sail home.
I've sailed / cruised a lot of places and Maine is special. Few places one earth with rocks and pine trees offer better famiy cruising (Alaska is one -- I've described Alaska as "Maine on steroids" -- but note the point of reference).
August is probably a better time than earlier in the summer. We were in ME a few weeks ago. Weather was....well, Maine-ish. We got our full seasonal ration of fog and rain and thunderstorms in one week, but we also had a perfect day under sail and a couple of lovely nights on the anchor in special places.
Even considering the time it takes to get there and the risky weather, it's worth it.
|08-08-2008 08:46 PM|
Scituate is one of my favorite harbors, not as a tourist but as a cruising sailor. They are very sailboat oriented and knowledgeable. Facilities (supermarket, laundromat, etc.) are easily accessible. And the people are pleasant.
The only marina in Boston where I have stayed is the Constitution Marina. Way up the inner harbor next to the Constitution. First class, but NOT inexpensive.
|08-08-2008 08:10 PM|
We're getting ready to go next week (getting on the boat Thursday evening, departing early Friday 8/15). The plan is to head through the canal to Boston and stay in Boston Harbor for the weekend. My wife has to be on shore on Monday, we'll get back to the boat Tuesday and sail to Ptown, then to Barnstable and back through the canal by Friday or Saturday. If time allows we'll bump down Buzzards Bay and the Elizabeths, maybe over to the Vineyard if ambitious for a day or two before returning to Fairhaven. Of course it's tentative and will depend on weather and whim.
1) Is it reasonable to sail from Fairhaven to Boston in a day? I know a lot will depend on tide wind and current through the canal which I haven't checked yet. Assuming it's favorable and I'm willing to start early is it worth attempting? If not, I'm looking at Scituate as a good place to overnight.
2) In Boston Harbor we'll explore the harbor islands and when staying on the boat will probably anchor out there. If we have to leave the boat for a night or two any suggestions on where to moor? Looking for something relatively inexpensive, ideally with the T in reasonable walking distance.
I'll probably do Cuttyhunk as a separate trip in September.
|07-21-2008 09:31 AM|
|CBinRI||Cuttyhunk is a very nice Harbor and Island, if you haven't done it before.|
|07-21-2008 09:29 AM|
|07-21-2008 09:28 AM|
Edit: Sorry, double post.
|07-17-2008 11:05 PM|
|sailingdog||Wait for a day the wind is out of the northeast.|
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|